Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2008, 12:53 PM

Totally new and I know nothing and need help

I have an iMac, time machine, superduper and a brand new Lacie external drive 500 GB. I would like to use superduper for cloaning purposes and time machine for incremental backups. I read the SD manuel and also looked at every post on the SD discussions. Can someone please take me step by step through what I should do. I imagine I need to partition the Lacie for SD and TM but I do not know how to do that and I do not know how many GB to put into each partition. I am a neurologist and I missed this day in medical school. Please help with step-by-step directions. I thank you and my patients thank you.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Well, how large is the drive you want to back up on your iMac?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:49 AM

New Member: Similar Question!

I too am a neophyte when it comes to 'Backing Up' my iMac loaded with Adobe PS/Bridge etc etc etc. and would appreciate helpful procedural info from readers of this forum on creating a bootable backup. Of course 'Updates' would also be required. I understand that everytone has their own special problem and the experts here know that it is super easy with Super Duper, but right now yer talk'n to, well, someone who doesn't know anything about backing up and is a first time user who desires to get it right the first time (HA!)! Here's the specifics:

iMac 10.4.11 450Gb/70Gb used
New LaCie 500Gb HD partitioned 250/250 Retrospect Express
Super Duper (purchased edition)

My intention in partitioning the HD was to have photos and Adobe software on one side and system and personal files on the other????

I will likely install Leopard within 6 months, so I'll need to know what to do with that.

Finally, it would certainly be BEST if you can stop in and get it going for me!

Gratefully,
Chrlz
Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Well, if you only have one iMac without partitions, you shouldn't partition the destination. Then, simply follow the steps in the first few sections of the User's Guide -- lots of screen shots and hand holding...

Last edited by dnanian; 09-17-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Well, if ou only have one iMac without partitions, you shouldn't partition the destination. Then, simply follow the steps in the first few sections of the User's Guide -- lots of screen shots and hand holding...
That's interesting, because I think I'd like to do just that; partition the iMac HD and use one partition as scratch disk for Photoshop, but then how do you run system software when it resides on the other partition, if you know how I'm thinking. In other words How do you start over from the beginning. It seems that I need to move everything to one of the partitions on the LaCie and erase the iMac HD then partition the Mac HD and recopy..not making sense here. I just don't know! Maybe I'll just forget all this partitioning stuff and do an 'Uncle Joe' (quote from Take Control) backup ie. schedule a simple backup one a week and fergit it!!

Chrlz
Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Partitioning to use one volume as a scratch disk is fine -- I just don't think you should try to divide your source files into "Photos" and "other stuff" if they reside on a single drive on the source...
Old 09-17-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrlz View Post
That's interesting, because I think I'd like to do just that; partition the iMac HD and use one partition as scratch disk for Photoshop
Why partition your iMac HD? There is no need to do that. Everything will work fine as long as you keep enough empty space on your HD for the system to do what it needs to do. Keep it simple.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Partitioning to use one volume as a scratch disk is fine -- I just don't think you should try to divide your source files into "Photos" and "other stuff" if they reside on a single drive on the source...
I am sorry. This is now getting me somewhat confused. You're saying I can partition the Mac HD into two volumes (partitions) and one can be used as a scratch disc; and I take it that a scratch volume is a place where the application Photoshop and Bridge will reside. The other volume on the Mac HD will hold everything else including photos...System and User. The Lacie, you suggested, should be one large (500Gb) HD that will have a copy (duplicate) of everything on the Mac HD AND Super Duper will allow a boot from it. I don't understand this computer inner working stuff. For example how is an App like PS able to find a photo on a different drive or volume; I don't think it can, but maybe not.

On the other hand RonaldPR suggested not to do anything except save everything to the Lacie HD and let it be (if I understand him correctly. I still need to know if I will be able to boot from the Lacie. I've heard this has to be done correctly??? But how???

Finally, I will read the Manual!! Great advice!

Chrlz
Old 09-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator

A "scratch disk" doesn't have any programs on it. It's what you point Adobe (etc) to for working space. So, neither Photoshop nor Bridge would be on there.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 PM

Dave,

Thank you for enlightening me about the scratch disk!.

I have lots more questions but I think I've taken enough of your time and you certainly have addressed, promptly i might add, the current ones. I think I'll go read a manual.

Best,
Chrlz
Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 AM

Hello Charlz,

I am in a similar situation like you. I am a photographer and need backups of my pictures.

1. I would get a bigger internal HD. An Imac can not hold another internal HD. When you set up your scratch disk in photoshop preferences - which is just temporary storage for Phtoshop when it needs additional space while working - use your internal HD. You can use an external one, but it will be slower. If you want more details on this check in the Adobe forum. The best would be to have a second internal HD for a scratch disk, this would be the fastest solution
2. It is not necessary to create a partition for the scratch disk on the internal HD
3. I would create 2 partitions on your external drive
- Partition 1: Use it as a bootable backup and have a file there with "pictures you are working on"
- Partition 2: Use this partition for pictures that are finalized. In other words pictures you want to archive.
4. check if it is necessary to format the external HD as "GUID" - otherwise it will not be bootable on certain Imacs.

Sigi
Old 09-19-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Hello Charlz,

I am in a similar situation like you. I am a photographer and need backups of my pictures.

1. I would get a bigger internal HD. An Imac can not hold another internal HD. When you set up your scratch disk in photoshop preferences - which is just temporary storage for Phtoshop when it needs additional space while working - use your internal HD. You can use an external one, but it will be slower. If you want more details on this check in the Adobe forum. The best would be to have a second internal HD for a scratch disk, this would be the fastest solution
2. It is not necessary to create a partition for the scratch disk on the internal HD
3. I would create 2 partitions on your external drive
- Partition 1: Use it as a bootable backup and have a file there with "pictures you are working on"
- Partition 2: Use this partition for pictures that are finalized. In other words pictures you want to archive.
4. check if it is necessary to format the external HD as "GUID" - otherwise it will not be bootable on certain Imacs.

Sigi
Thanks Sigi for your response! Now that I think I have 'scratch disc' understood, I have PS already using 70% free space on the internal drive. I have the LaCie partitioned equally and will attempt getting a bootable system on one using Super Duper. After testing that I can indeed boot with it I'll continue with moving the pics as you suggested. I'll need to do some reading to find out what is meant by GUID format...and if I need to do that. I don't want to begin the transfer process until I'm clear on the procedure.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 AM

Hello Charlz

1. This is the reason why I said - get a bigger Internal HD. You will run out of space very soon. You then have to transfer some of your pictures to the external drive - and delete them from the internal HD because you need space there. The moment you do that yo do not have a backup anymore because the archive pictures just reside on the external drive only
2. Regarding GUID, just click on Disk Utility, select a drive (not a volume), click on Partition and the on Options. It will give a short overview when you need GUID.
3. A lot of people define backup as having an identical file 3 times and preferably on different storage media. One of those storage media should be offsite in case of desaster. You can only answer for yourself how important/replacable these files are for you.

4. I had in the past a lot of external drives flying around and it gets a nightmare to manage. I just bought a Drobo from Data Robotics. This box is really great. Have a look at their website. I do not work for them or anything. I just read an article from Scott Kelby on it and had a go.

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2007/archives/735

Sigi
Old 09-20-2008, 09:48 AM

Hi again Sigi,

Excuse me, but I do not know that one can replace the internal iMac HD with a larger one?? I believe I"m already maxed out with memory and disc space. Too, does this not present still another problem for me; a procedure to get all the info System/User/Files/Folders from the current drive to a new internal drive.

Yes, I know what you mean about running out of space with photos, especially shooting raw and saving PS working projects.

Sigi, I'm certain this digital age is slowing me down. Learning the camera and gettting pics to the Mac is one thing. Now it's the internal working of the Mac. I haven't addressed all my film pics, negs, and slides yet. Ya can't only be a photographer, you have to know hexadecimal and the difference between a lower case b and an uppercase B. I recently bought new digital equipment for TV/movies and that too is a strain getting all to work together. Didn't know what to do with a Lip-Sync problem last night. And what about knowing something of six different video formats and a dozen audio formats to say nothing of on-screen menus that go on for an hour! Just incredible.

Gotta go and do something more simple now; pick up my hammer and a few 8d nails and take out my aggression on a few two by's. But: "I'll be back!" A.S.

Yes, I will take a look at kelby's place. Been using one of his books, Krogh too.

Many thanks.

Regards,
Chrlz
Old 09-20-2008, 02:30 PM

Hello Charlz

Superduper will solve your problem.

1. You make a bootable backup with everything on the internal HD that is on it. Superduper does that for you
2. You take the old internal HD out of the imac and replace it with the new one
3. You boot the computer with your external HD
4. You tell SD to clone your external HD onto your new internal HD as a bootable copy
5. You are all set

The digital age was slowing me down too - and I guess everyone - I made the move one year ago. But now I am pretty quick. Take it easy and learn step by step

Sigi