Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2004, 12:02 PM

Security of SuperDuper Backup Data?

Hello,

I am a new registered user of SuperDuper and have been extremely pleased with it’s performance. I have been using it with my Aluminum PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz and an external 2.5” Firewire drive for about two weeks now. The only thing that I am concerned about now, is the security of my backup data while traveling. This detail finally occurred to me last night and I plugged my Firewire drive into a friends Mac. Sure enough, ALL of my data was easily accessible WITHOUT a password (except for a PGP encrypted volume). Come to think of it, would the hard drive in my PowerBook act the same way if it was put into a Firewire enclosure?

Now, I know that I should be using File Vault, but I had a bad experience with it and a data crash early in the Panther release. My main security since has been the extra firmware password hack and requiring a password upon awakening from sleep. I could use PGP and create a password protected volume for my entire backup data, but that would be about 60 GB’s large. Is there another suggestion that anyone might have for the protection of my backup data?

More microchips than sense,
Z-Man.