Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 PM

SuperDuper and/or TimeMachine for Network Backups

I'm a long time user of SuperDuper!
I've traditionally used a locally attached FireWire disk with two partitions on it; one for SD and one for Time Machine.

I just got my wife a new laptop and I'm trying to centralize things to back up both laptops and have it easier (ideally transparent) for her.

I put the Firewire disk on a mac mini and set up both SD and TM to backup over the network to it. It all works, but I'm just not sure it's worth doing both types of backup. In the end, I've just got two different SmartBundles per laptop. I'll really miss the easy bootability of the local SD disk, but i understand that you can't get bootability over the net.

So, am I missing something? Is there some reason to run both backups if you are strictly going over the network? If not, why would you go with SD for a novice user versus TM?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
It's always good to have more than one backup. On top of that, the SD backup is much "simpler" in structure, so it's less prone to trouble...
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the quick feedback, Dave .. and for the great product.

Tags
network afp, superduper!, time machine