Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2009, 10:05 PM

Recreating scripts

Hi,

I've noticed a frustrating UI deficiency with SuperDuper (and it's a problem in CCC also interestingly - ie. the only other really useful and reliable backup application that seems to exist for the mac - which I use combined for slightly different purposes across 2 home-office machines + external drives).

Both of them have the ability to update a script's schedule, but not the script base settings.

Furthermore, and what has brought this posting on, is that upon needing to recreate the scripts for 2.6, I can't even *view* the base settings - at least, not in a way that is described in the same way as the backup selection options present themselves.

Is there a way to view these settings in an xml script file or something?

At the moment I have to create new scripts based on the wording displayed in the "What's going to happen" text of the Scheduled Copies window, and translate those words into the selection options in the backup window.

I think that if the options could be shown in a basic field-by-field tabbed/table display *as well as* the sentence wording then I think that would make script recreation significantly simpler.

I spent some time developing a backup scheme for these machines, and I'd obviously like to get it right when I recreate a scheduled script!

(and by the way thanks for the product! I do have freezing problems with it here and there, but it has saved me once so far and I've had no issues with the integrity of the backups themselves. On a side note I think the error reporting could use some work - I sometimes have backups not run, but no error show up, and sometimes even the "date last run" erroneously updated - frustrating to not be able to rely on those date displays but need to trawl through the log and load the disk image from the networked machine to confirm successful backup).

Cheers very much