Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-31-2005, 12:04 PM

Failed to enable ownership!

Hi all, first time post! Just bought SD so I can eliminate multiple partitions on my two Macs. I decided to test it out on my iMac G3 following what was suggested in the thread by sliderule53: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221

I name the external FW drive the same as the internal boot volume, New School. Proceeded to create a backup onto the FW. When done, rebooted to the external (Safe Boot), and everything is running great. So I take the big plunge, I repartition the iMac to a single volume and quick erase it. So now I try to get SD to copy back from the FW New School to the new iMac New School. However, I get "Failed to enable ownership on New_School". I Get Info on it , and it tells me I can read and write. so I try Ignore ownership on this volume, still can't copy over!

Any way to resolve or work around this? Please, I'm stuck. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Are you using SuperDuper! 2.x, imacflip? If so, it should have repaired the volume database: restart your Mac as indicated in the error message, and the problem should go away.

Let me know if that helps!
Old 12-31-2005, 12:14 PM

Dan,

I am using SD 2.01. So I should just reboot again? Safe Boot or no? The error occured after "Verifying the integrity of volinfo.database." I am up to Tiger 10.4.2...

Trying reboot into Safe Boot. I'll will post again.

Michael
Old 12-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Hi, Michael. (It's Dave, not Dan.)

Yes, just reboot. No Safe Boot necessary.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:17 PM

Sorry, Dave! Will do...
Old 12-31-2005, 02:43 PM

Dave,

I rebooted the iMac. Strange behavior, it stays in Safe Boot even if I don't hold down the shift key. Anyways, it still wouldn't copy over after reboot. I ended up repairing permissions on the external drive, and that seemed to work! Transferring back to the iMac went well. Running the iMac now on its internal drive, yet it still defaults into Safe Boot without any prompting from me. Tried several restarts with no avail. Also restarts "hang", and I have to do a hard reset.

SD is a great piece of software, but I came upon some issues on my system that prevented a clean transfer of files from multiple partitions to a single one.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Safe Boot doesn't have anything to do with SD!, actually. The fact that it wouldn't copy indicates that there's something likely wrong that's pretty basic -- if we can't enable permissions -- something we do with a system tool called vsdbutil -- and we can't repair the database properly, something is messed up with the configuration.

Similarly, repairing permissions doesn't have anythin to do with enabling ownership, but could indicate that you had other significant problems with the drive, with incorrect permissions before you even started. We'd copy those permissions as-is, of course.

It's hard to know what might have happened here, given what you've said. But I'd suggest doing an archive-and-install on top of what you've got to try to clean things up... and rest your PRAM, too...
Old 12-31-2005, 02:57 PM

Dave,

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like archive and install. The iMac keeps hanging on restart, and still defaults into Safe Boot on its own...

Thanks,
Michael
Old 12-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Yep. Don't forget to reset PRAM, too...
Old 12-31-2005, 08:10 PM

Dave,

Archived and installed, reset the PRAM, repaired permissions, the iMac is working great! I finally dared to update to 10.4.3, knowing I have a backup (though flawed).

I went ahead and repartitioned my TiBook also to only one volume. This time copying back to my 'Book went without a hitch! I love SD! Can't understand why I hadn't done this sooner (I bought my FW drive back in June!).

Keep up all the good work...
Michael
Old 01-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Glad to hear it, Michael. Congrats!