Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 07-05-2007, 02:43 PM

Wink Leopard Time Machine vs. SuperDuper

When OS X 10.5 (Leopard) comes out in October it will have a file backup feature by default (Time Machine). Are we going to need SuperDuper for anything when that happens?

Also, we are planning on buying a new Mac when Leopard comes out. Our old Mac has already been sold (they are a family member) and they don't plan to upgrade to Leopard. Since it appears that we won't have a need for SuperDuper anymore, is there a way that we can transfer our copy to them, or will it have to go wasted?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Take a look at the "Similar threads" below, which have a link to a post about SD! and Time Machine...
Old 07-05-2007, 04:42 PM

Question

OK I was able to find your times arrow blog, but now I have a more technical question. Our back gets backed up to a second hard drive. When we sell this Mac we will just format the Macs hard drive and reinstall Tiger for them, and then they will all set to go. However, Our new Mac will be running Leopard. When we plug in the external hard drive (containing Tiger) and try to copy all of our files over (to a computer that's running Leopard) won't it give us an error message of some kind stating that the backup is not compatible with Leopards new drive? I hope I explained that correctly

I'm guessing that we'll have to wait until you come out with a 'Leopard version' of SD, and then use that first, but I'm just guessing.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator

If your backup is done directly to a FireWire drive, I'm sure Leopard's migration assistant will be more than happy to migrate from it, just as Tiger's will. But there's no way to know for sure until Leopard ships.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:11 PM

Question

Yes it is a Firewire drive, but we would still be without a way to back up our 'Leopard' data, since we only have a 'Tiger' version of SD.

Do you think it will take a long time for you to release the Leopard version of SuperDuper once Leopard hits the Mac stores? I think we're going to wait until SuperDuper is Leopard compatible before we do anything. Thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

We just don't know until Leopard is closer to release... it's a moving target.