Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 01-12-2005, 10:27 AM

SuperDuper! and FileVault

I can't get my FileVault protected Home folder to be shared using the 'Safety Clone - Share users and applications' script. When I log in to the clone it shows an empty home folder and doesn't find my sparseimage.

What to do? Thanks!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi, Kool -- what version of SuperDuper! are you running? We made some specific changes in this script in the the last version (or so) that makes the Safety Clone compatible with FileVault, so it should work. (At least, it works here.)

Is there anything unusual about your system or setup that comes to mind?
Old 01-12-2005, 11:05 AM

* And .*

Version 1.5.4 v73

I think I've found the problem. It wasn't sharing /Users/.* only /Users/* and the first one (.*) is needed, because that's where FileVault saves the sparseimage. My clone is almost ready, so in a minute or 10 I can tell for sure if this solved it or not.

Last edited by Kool; 01-12-2005 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Administrator

What's strange is that the copy script *should* be sharing the /Users folder, not the things inside (that was the change that was made, which works better for a lot of reasons). It sounds like your scripts weren't updated, for some reason.

Here's what I'd suggest: re-download the SuperDuper! image and delete your existing copy of SuperDuper! Drop the new one in its place, and look a the script: it should share /Users, not /Users/* (or .*).

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 AM

I just downloaded SD! again. The Share Users.dset included with it does share /Users/* and not /Users as you advice me here. My previous attempt (with .* and *) failed. I am now trying to share /Users.

I did empty my Library from SD! files. Also when I look into the SD!.app package on the dmg it shows that the Share Users.dset is sharing /Users/*.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Administrator

I'm totally wrong here, and this'll teach me not to do support too quickly while heading to the show floor here at Macworld.

The change in v1.5.3 was from sharing /Users to sharing the contents of /Users. When we tested, FileVault seemed to work, but there must have been something going on during the test.

In any case, your initial response -- to share * and .* -- is correct, given what you've said. I'll have to do additional testing at this end to ensure that it works on my own 'test mule', too.

My sincere apologies for the incorrect information in this thread. I should never do support before coffee, and when hurrying too much... >sigh<

Last edited by dnanian; 01-12-2005 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Fixed incorrect information