Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2006, 11:08 AM

Lockups - spinning beachball of DOOOM!

I've been a SuperDuper customer for a long while now. I have a Power Mac, dual 1Ghz mirror door. 80Gb main drive, 160Gb secondary w/ two 80Gb partitions. I back up the main to one of the secondary partitions.

Every once in a while, Superduper just chokes on the smart backup script, which I have running at 10am every day. It either chokes on preparing the backup drive, in which case I find the program is still "preparing" the drive for the past seven hours when I get home from work, or else it's choked during the backup process, near the end, and has locked up the entire computer with the spinning ball of doom.

The later requires a power off and reboot.

SMART says the target disk is good. Disk Utility says it's good, with no errors.

Once it starts locking up, the only way to clear the issue is to do a complete backup again, and it'll be good for a week or more.

SuperDuper is a great product, and has saved my butt after a OS update hosed the system. But I sure wish these lockups would go away.

yes, I'm running the latest version.

-Red