Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2006, 03:30 PM

Hi Dave, thanks again for your prompt and helpful responses.

"We rely on the system's wake and scheduling features to do their things. If those don't work reliably, it's hard for us to work reliably, and harder still to "work around" the problem, since we didn't "write" that part."
I hear you on that.
As far as logs go, there's no plan for an integrated log "folder", no. But we're always looking for ways to improve things, and I have various ideas in this area.
Well thanks for letting me vent I've often found that developers have already thought of better ways to address issues than just plain end-users; glad you're already processing ideas for improvements in this area...
But, anyway. If the drive wasn't mounted, your backup would fail. Why the second one failed is something I can't explain, but if SD! wasn't "waiting to run" when you woke, it means it probably didn't wake at all, or went to sleep very, very quickly after waking.
Waitamminnit, I do remember times when I've awoken the system in the morning, and there was SD! all bright-eyed and bushytailed, already beginning its work. I didn't understand why that might have been... so what you're telling me is that those times represent occasions when OSX didn't even ever wake from sleep. If this repeats, I guess I'll bug the folx at AppleCare.
If you're comfortable doing so, you can try to change your crontab to run the event at 3:30:30 by changing the "0" at the start of the line to a "30". Then, set your wake event to 3:30, and see if that works...
OK, I don't mind doing this if it'll help, but your description doesn't help me enough, please add some specificity... I find that can't change the final 0 of 3:30 into 0:30 within the usual SD! edit screen, so I'm assuming (???) that if I get into the TERMINAL app and look for "CronTabs" I can edit one. If it's not too much hassle, could you pls point me to doc of just how I do this? ... and how changing the time that the SD! run will start from an integer to a fraction of a minute will help things out, if in fact it's the OS's problem for not having woken up at all? In other words, I don't understand where this is going or how I can help do this suggested test.