Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 PM

HELP! Need to exclude Folders from Home Backup (Movies & Music)

I am attempting to copy a select group of files and folders from my home directory to an external backup.

I have followed the instructions regarding creating scripts, and I have excluded the directories and files that I do not want to be backed up to the external drive.

Specifically, I have the script commands set as follows:

Quote:
ignore /Users/username/Music
ignore /Users/username/Movies
These directories contain a vast number of files and it takes forever to back these up, therefore, I wish to exclude them from the backup.

I have stopped the backup process during each attempt because folders and files that should have been excluded (Movies & Music) have instead been written to the external backup disk. I have confirmed that they have, in fact, been copied, as I had to manually delete them from the external backup disk.

I have read the FAQ, but I believe my situation is outside the boundaries that are discussed in those scenarios (I am not attempting to ignore a "/Volume/" directory, and I do not believe that the files are merely being "displayed" on the backup drive. I have had to manually remove the files after I have stopped the backup process. Again, I chose to stop it because the folders and subsequent data is so large that it would take forever to copy the data in question. I do not believe that SuperDuper! is recognizing the script commands that I have outlined above

I am not sure if this makes a difference, but I am backing the files up to a truecrypt encrypted external HDD. It is properly mounted. I am using the "Copy different files from..." setting under the General Options tab. I am using a registered copy. The "Source" is a file vault encrypted home directory. I am logged in as that user.

Any help is much appreciated.