Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2021, 08:43 AM

Hmm. I guess I did miss that. Thank you. But OK, my container backup disks are already all APFS. I do a Smart Update to them, which is supposed to be the same as "Erase then copy", and I get a backup. But what I don't understand is how I actually boot from that backup. As I said, my backup disks aren't listed as choosable options in SysPrefs->Startup disk, and reboot-with-Option doesn't show them either. Specifically, how do I tell my machine to boot from the backup instead of the system disk?

Now, I have always valued boot-from-backup in case my system disk gets fried. Then I just replace that disk, I boot-from-backup, and copy the whole thing over to my replaced disk. But it occurs to me that now that my system disk is an SSD, that's much less likely to happen than it used to. So maybe boot-from-backup isn't as important to me anymore.

Boot-from-backup is one of the reasons that I don't depend on Time Machine. With Time Machine, if your system disk craps out, you need to FIRST replace the OS when you replace the disk, and only THEN can you do a restore.

Last edited by Dan Lester; 11-08-2021 at 08:57 AM.