Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 07-05-2008, 04:19 PM

Sandbox and external drive?

I am looking into creating a Sandbox and as I understand it, you actually use the Sandbox for every day use and if something goes wrong, you boot from the backup OS stuff.

That would mean my Sandbox should be my internal drive and the backup should be my external HD (which also acts as my full SD backup).

So how do I proceed to create a Sandbox?
Old 07-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
No, don't do that. Since you want most of your data on your regular drive, and that's the one that'll be in prime use, you want your sandbox on your external or lesser used drive.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
No, don't do that. Since you want most of your data on your regular drive, and that's the one that'll be in prime use, you want your sandbox on your external or lesser used drive.
OK, so I can partition my external drive and use one partition for my regular backup and the other for my Sandbox.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Exactly. First, though, create a Sandbox to see how big your particular system configuration will need.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:09 PM

Turns out I can't do that as my external drive is the same size as my internal drive so I don't have enough room to do both.

But thanks for the direction.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:13 PM

That's funny because that's exactly my question for tonight. I created my Sandbox this evening. All went well, I think.

The only questionable glitch was in my VMWare (where I have my virtual XP) which when I tried to open it asked me if I had "moved VMWare" or had "made another copy of it". I didn't know what to reply so I said I copied it .

I opened my Windows Quicken on it and it "seems" all is well. Remember I'm operating on the boot up from the newly created Sandbox.

My question for tonight was similar to yours. Do I always now always boot up from the Sandbox unless I want to install a new application onto the original iMac HD? This is probably a Dave question!

If so, then I would have to always keep my LaCie External drive (where my original SD clone and, now, Sandbox reside).

Up to now, I only connect my External Drive when I want to do my weekly SD clone. Otherwise I use the original HD with TimeMachine running.

Boy, am I getting confused now....

Dave - help!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:27 PM

I'm confused...

It says in the documentation that I am supposed to create the Sandbox and then start from it. This would mean I couldn't do this to a networked sparse image, right?

I was thinking I would put my Sandbox in a sparse image on my Time Capsule, but I am not sure that is the right thing to do after reading the instructions again.

Can you advise?
Old 07-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Administrator

The general idea is that you run from the Sandbox when you're doing something 'risky' that you want to isolate your system from. That could be installing a "point update" of the OS, a new mouse driver, whatever.

And, yes, edalzell -- you can't put a Sandbox on a Time Capsule, since you have to run from it for it to be useful.