Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 01-04-2005, 09:09 AM

Question iTunes Tracks & Safety Clones

First let me say what a 1st Class product SuperDuper! is. Well worth the $19.95 Registration Fee. After pouring over the quality documentation and FAQs, I have the following questions.

My System is a DaystarG4/600MHz/1GB B&W REV 2 running OSX 10.3.7.

Q1. When booted into your OSX Safety Clone created with the Shared & Applications script, what happens when you add new iTunes tracks to your iTunes Library. It would seem the track and any changes would get added and/or updated to the Safety Clone iTunes Library files. As this type of operation would happen frequently, what is the reccomended procedure/frequency to insure the Macintosh HD OSX Checkpointed Master Disk and/or the All Files OSX Backup Disk are updated with the changes? The same question applies when new photos are added/updated to iPhoto.

Q2. In a two Internal HD System, is there any I/O performance hit if the Macintosh HD (Checkpointed Master) and the OSX Safety Clone are on separate Internal Disks or is performance better served if they are on the same Internal Disk in separate partitions? In my system, both Internal HD's are configured as Masters connected via a SIIG ATA133 Dual Port PCI card. What is the optimum performance approach for selecting where the Safety Clone resides in respect to the Checkpoint and Full Backup locations? I have a 3rd HD, which is FireWire, but it is not bootable under OSX and is being currently used for .dmg image storage.

Thanking everyone in advance for any experience/expertise you can share regarding these questions!
Old 01-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi, cspheres -- glad you like SD! and found time to check out the documentation!

A few answers:

- When you're running from the Safety Clone, all your 'user files' -- that is, everything under your Home folder -- is shared with the original. Tracks added to iTunes or iPhoto are actually added to your originals... no checkpointing is necessary. That's the whole beauty of the Safety Clone.

- In a two disk system, you'll actually get better performance putting the original and Safety Clone on two drives, because they can operate independently.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:03 PM

Smile Quick Response from SuperDuper!

Very quick response!!! Answers were enlightening and now I can proceed in mapping my system disks to use SuperDuper in the most effective way. Thanks again for such a great product and professional support. 9 on a scale of 10, pretty much says it all. Thanks, cspheres
Old 01-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the follow-up: we'll keep working to earn a 10 out of 10!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:43 AM

Talking System Performance

Hello dnanian!

I continue to be impressed by SuperDuper! As a long time Macintosh user, I have experienced the horror stories that can happen when upgrading both full and/or dot releases on both OS 9 and OS X and then find your system rendered almost useless, followed by the time consuming and painful effort to restore and roll back or even worse, having to rebuild the system from scratch. IMHO, SuperDuper! and it's inovative approach to the Safety Clone puts those days behind me forever and I can't thank you enough for making that possible! 11 on a Scale of 10 now pretty much says it all.

Other Kudos:

1. System Performance is much improved, especially if your Macintosh HD was baselined at OSX 10.3, followed by 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7 incrementals via Apples Software update. Why? Well, as you state in one of your White Papers, when you use SuperDuper! to Clone your original Macintosh HD to another drive, all the fragmentation left over from the dot upgrades is removed from the OS during the Clone process. I Cloned an All Files 22GB OSX 10.3.7 System in about 33 minutes. A 5.2 GB Users & Applications Safety Clone took less than 13 minutes. You can substract 2':45" from each for Repair Permisisons time on the Source HDD. I have 2 identical systems and was able to compare the before and after performance. Even Boot time was improved by a few seconds. The system now feels snappy, just like when you first build the OS from the Install Disks and then install 3rd party applications fresh.

2. I challenge any OSX 10.3.x user with a 22GB or larger system to compare the total time to implement SuperDuper! with an All Files Back Up to 2nd HDD, a Safety Clone to the 2nd HDD, and a All Files Clone back to the Primary Macintosh HDD, AGAINST just the time to run most De-Frag Maintenance Routines on a Large (>137GB) HDD. SuperDuper! will win the race, especially if the User adds/deletes a lot of Music and/or Photos! Doing just an All Files Clone with SuperDuper! is really no contest when compared to a traditional De-Frag Routine.

3. The small size of my Safety Clone is impressive. Only 5.2GB, which now resides in a 10GB partition on a separate internal HDD.

4. After insuring my Full Clone Back Up was fully functional with all apps, I had the confidence to Erase and Zero out my original Macintosh HDD and then Clone back from the Full Clone Back Up on the 2nd Internal HDD. It worked like a Swiss Watch, and now my Original Boot HDD is de-fragged and runs like a top. All thanks to SuperDuper!

5. I do remote Mac support for several members of my family that are spread out across the U. S. They will all shortly be SuperDuper users with supplied Procs & Scripts from me. Remote support should then be much easier and less time consuming. It may even rise to being Fun!

6. When you combine SuperDuper! with Utilities like iPartion, Disk Warrior, TechTool Pro, OnyX and Apple's Disk Utility, as a user you regain control over managing your system with performance once again.

7. SuperDuper! Most cost effective $20.00 I have ever spent since becoming a Mac user in late 1984.

cspheres

Last edited by cspheres; 01-05-2005 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to slboettcher
I totally concur. I've got SD running at work, home, and family member's homes as well.
I can't say that I've run across anything that compares in reliability and ease-of-use.
I used to run a 400+ node backup of Mac desktops nightly using Retrospect - this obviously can't replace that setup, but this is hands-down much better on a case-by-case basis.
Superior software and support - I think I'm officially a salesman now...

SB
Old 01-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Thanks once again for the kudos: they're greatly appreciated, and all of us here at Shirt Pocket are delighted you're happy... after all, that's what we're aiming for -- satisfied (*more* than satisfied, actually -- we want 'delighted') customers.

Keep spreading the word!

(One tip -- don't be tempted to reduce the size of the Safety Clone partition too much. You need space for temporary and swap files!)

Thanks again!