Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 03-09-2007, 05:59 PM

Restore Help Needed...asap...thanks!

I know you probably hate those subjects.....but I find myself in that situation.

Something happened with the main MAC drive so I am booting up from my maxtor firewire drive. Pretty kewl BTW

Anyway I have done smart backups with superduper onto the maxtor drive.

I went to the disk Utility to try to restore from the maxtor drive...but I cannot find any image file.

So I cannot restore, but I am booting and working on it now....what am I doing wrong?

I just need to do a full restore back onto the original MacBook.

What do I do?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
If you've started up from the Maxtor, that is your backup. You use SD! (which you run just like you did before) to copy from the Maxtor (your startup drive) back. No image necessary.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
If you've started up from the Maxtor, that is your backup. You use SD! (which you run just like you did before) to copy from the Maxtor (your startup drive) back. No image necessary.
Ok, after I wrote my post, I snapped my head back and realized that

Ok, so I re-partitioned my original drive from 160 GB single to (120GB and 40GB) drives

Rebooted from the backup firewire drive and am now doing a restore of all files ONTO the 120GB new main partition. Then set it to reboot from that partition.

Now that I have that all straight... (BTW VERY NICE....so much easier then a pc!!) What is the Sandbox all about...I read the DOCS, but confused still.

Does the computer boot from the sandbox (which I could make the 40GB extra space) or something I am missing here.

How would it shorten the restore process at all?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The Sandbox is basically for the "Pioneers" -- that is, the people with the arrows in their backs. If you're the kind of person who jumps on every update -- who installs things willy nilly and ends up in trouble, well that's when it's super useful. (It's also for developers who might need to run more than one version of the OS.)

If you create one, you need a partition for it. You then run from the Sandbox, as explained in the User's Guide, and install the program you're testing there. If all goes well, you know it's a safe update for you. If not -- you can simply boot back to the original drive, and it's no longer there. But, any changes to your "User Files" (that is, your Home folder) are still there.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
The Sandbox is basically for the "Pioneers" -- that is, the people with the arrows in their backs. If you're the kind of person who jumps on every update -- who installs things willy nilly and ends up in trouble, well that's when it's super useful. (It's also for developers who might need to run more than one version of the OS.)

If you create one, you need a partition for it. You then run from the Sandbox, as explained in the User's Guide, and install the program you're testing there. If all goes well, you know it's a safe update for you. If not -- you can simply boot back to the original drive, and it's no longer there. But, any changes to your "User Files" (that is, your Home folder) are still there.

All restored perfectly.

Thanks!