Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 01-23-2005, 09:25 PM

Angry What does this error message mean?

SuperDuper stops and will not clone my HD. When I look at the log, this message is the last line:

|05:55:55 PM|Error| SVUclone: FTS_NS error for item: '/Volumes/iklock' err: 5, Input/output error

I have no clue whatsoever about what it means, and how do I fix it. It has successfully cloned my HD many many times before, this just happened.

Any suggestions or explanations would be gratefully accepted
Thanks,
Ingrid
Old 01-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi, Ingrid. The problem here is that the OS has left an entry in the special /Volumes folder that -- for some reason -- is generating an error when we try to look at it to determine whether we should copy it or not. (I'm guessing that it's your iDisk.)

To fix this, just reboot the system (you might need to do so twice). Once that's done, the system should clean this stuff up, and you'll be OK again.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
Hi, Ingrid. The problem here is that the OS has left an entry in the special /Volumes folder that -- for some reason -- is generating an error when we try to look at it to determine whether we should copy it or not. (I'm guessing that it's your iDisk.)

To fix this, just reboot the system (you might need to do so twice). Once that's done, the system should clean this stuff up, and you'll be OK again.
OK, here's my SVU error, reported at more length. I've already restarted twice now, and still have the problem. Now what, please????

Many thanks for whatever help you can offer that will get me over this frustrating hump!

Ray C

---------------------------------
|09:10:51 PM|Error| SVUclone: Error: Couldn't create
|09:10:51 PM|Error| : Input/output error
|09:10:51 PM|Error| SVUclone: Error copying /Users/raychoin/Documents Ray/Computer related/Epson English-U.S./EPSON SMART PANEL for Scanner/Plug-Ins/QuickMail Enabler to /Volumes/Firewire external/Users/raychoin/Documents Ray/Computer related/Epson English-U.S./EPSON SMART PANEL for Scanner/Plug-Ins/QuickMail Enabler of type 8
|09:10:51 PM|Error| : Input/output error
|09:10:51 PM|Error| ****FAILED****: result=256 errno=1 (Operation not permitted)
|09:10:51 PM|Info| Error copying /Users/raychoin/Documents Ray/Computer related/Epson English-U.S./EPSON SMART PANEL for Scanner/Plug-Ins/QuickMail Enabler to /Volumes/Firewire external/Users/raychoin/Documents Ray/Computer related/Epson English-U.S./EPSON SMART PANEL for Scanner/Plug-Ins/QuickMail Enabler of type 8
Old 01-24-2005, 12:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to blacey Send a message via Yahoo to blacey
Dave is probably a sleep so let me try to help in the interim.

First it is difficult to discern what the root cause is given the short log excerpt. If you attempted a smart update after the previous error and you are sure that you have sufficient space on the target drive, then I suggest that you choose the "Erase, then copy..." copy mode to reset the the target drive to a "known state".

Regards,
Bruce

Last edited by blacey; 01-24-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Ray:

I assume you're not Ingrid, as this looks to be an entirely different issue!

What this looks like, to me, is a failure on the drive or FireWire bus -- but, as Bruce said, it's very hard to know from a small log snippet.

If you would send a System Profiler report to support, along with your SuperDuper!.log, I'll take a look. To do so, start System Profiler, choose File | Save, and save to the default (XML) format. Attach that, and the SuperDuper!.log (found off your Home folder in Library/Logs) to a message to support, and I'll take a look.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 PM

Hi David;

Many many thanks for your rapid and accurate response to my request for help with my SuperDuper! difficulty. Your diagnosis was exactly right, you gave me useful extra information beyond “just do X,” and generally helped me get out of trouble quickly and painlessly.

Excellent support! As of today I’m a big fan of your work!

Ray
Old 01-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Ray. Happy to be able to help.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:07 AM

Similar problem

I'm posting here because my problem is similar. Super Duper is consistently (well three time sout of the last five backups) reporting an error while backing up my 'Macintosh HD' volume, although the error in the log appears to me to be related to my 'Hard Drive 2' volume. Would you recommend the restart approach or something else? I can send you a system profiler output if necessary.

Many thanks,

Fred

~~~~~~~~~~~~

[***] Friday, April 01, 2005 04:00:34 AM America/New_York
|04:00:34 AM|Info| SuperDuper!, version 73, path: /Applications/SuperDuper (Backup)/SuperDuper!.app, OS: 10.3.8 (7U16)
|04:00:34 AM|Info| Source Drive: /, name: Macintosh HD, device: /dev/disk0s5 type: hfs, OS: 10.3.8 (7U16), capacity: 57.26 GB, used: 33.03 GB, directories: 68218, files: 342690
|04:00:34 AM|Info| Target Drive: /Volumes/Backup - Macintosh HD, name: Backup - Macintosh HD, device: /dev/disk5s10 type: hfs, OS: 10.3.8 (7U16), capacity: 59.87 GB, used: 36.58 GB, directories: 68029, files: 340420
|04:00:34 AM|Info| Copy Mode : Smart Update
|04:00:34 AM|Info| Copy Script : Backup - all files.dset
|04:00:34 AM|Info| Transcript : BuildTranscript.plist
|04:00:35 AM|Info| PHASE: Volume Preparation
|04:00:35 AM|Info| ...ACTION: Enable Permissions
|04:00:35 AM|Info| ......COMMAND => Enabling permissions on Macintosh HD
|04:00:35 AM|Info| Refreshing Disk Arbitration ...
|04:00:37 AM|Info| ......COMMAND => Verifying that permissions are enabled for Macintosh HD
|04:00:38 AM|Info| Permissions on '/' are enabled.
|04:00:38 AM|Info| ......COMMAND => Enabling permissions on Backup - Macintosh HD
|04:00:38 AM|Info| Refreshing Disk Arbitration ...
|04:00:38 AM|Info| ......COMMAND => Verifying that permissions are enabled for Backup - Macintosh HD
|04:00:38 AM|Info| Permissions on '/Volumes/Backup - Macintosh HD' are enabled.
|04:00:38 AM|Info| PHASE: Clone from Source to Target
|04:00:38 AM|Info| ...ACTION: Copy Files from Macintosh HD to Backup - Macintosh HD
|04:00:38 AM|Info| ......COMMAND => Cloning Macintosh HD to Backup - Macintosh HD
|04:00:39 AM|Info| Copying different files with delete using script: /Applications/SuperDuper (Backup)/SuperDuper!.app/Contents/Resources/Copy Scripts/Backup - all files.dset
|04:00:40 AM|Info| Loading 19 commands from copy script /Applications/SuperDuper (Backup)/SuperDuper!.app/Contents/Resources/Copy Scripts/Exclude system temporary files.dset
|04:00:40 AM|Info| Loading 1 commands from copy script /Applications/SuperDuper (Backup)/SuperDuper!.app/Contents/Resources/Copy Scripts/Exclude Norton FileSaver files.dset
|04:00:40 AM|Info| Loading 2 commands from copy script /Applications/SuperDuper (Backup)/SuperDuper!.app/Contents/Resources/Copy Scripts/Backup - all files.dset
|04:00:40 AM|Info| Copy script command hash contains 139 commands
|04:00:40 AM|Error| SVUclone: FTS_NS error for item: '/Volumes/Backup - Hard Drive 2' err: 6, Device not configured
Old 04-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Definitely, Fred. Disconnect what I assume is an external drive "Backup - Hard Drive 2", reboot, then reconnect. (If it's internal, just reboot.)

That should clean up /Volumes, and you'll be able to continue normally.