Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-18-2008, 07:04 AM

Drive disconnected, Connection is invalid

Hello,

This more an annoyance than a functional problem, but here we go.
Whenever I leave the backup drive disconnected and SD tries to start the scheduled job on that drive, it pops out with an UNDISMISSABLE message:

"connection is invalid" with an applescript icon next to it and an OK button that is not clikable even if the dialog itself seems to have the ability to give or take focus when clicked on.

The only way to get rid of it is to logout or restart, not even quitting SD.

Any solutions, workarounds?

Ciao,
T
Old 09-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You can certainly quit the "Copy Job" application with Activity monitor (select it, click "Quit") -- but, you shouldn't get this kind of error routinely with a drive not connected. Are you quitting SD! "by hand" immediately after the launch of SD?
Old 09-18-2008, 01:36 PM

Hey Dave, thanks for you quick reply.

I figured that I could quit the copy job.app from act mon a few minuted after writing the first post. Still the "problem" remains.
Basically what happens is: I have SD scheduled to backup at 4 in the morning and sometimes I just forget to plug the external drive for the backup. Then I on the screen in the morning I find SD main interface and the Copy job.app error message. I can normally close SD window, but the Copy job message stays there and it's OK button is clickable but has no effect in dismissing the dialog.
Then yes, I can quit through Act Mon, but it would be nice in the first place if there was an option for it to fail silently or a solution to this minor problem.

Thank you,
T
Old 09-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

That was the question: whether you were quitting SD! in the 'middle' of Copy Job's work.

I don't know why its AppleScript connection would go invalid, unless somehow it crashed. And it doesn't seem like it has.

Anything in the Console for around the backup time that might give a hint about what's going on? Have you tried deleting and recreating your schedule?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:56 PM

Here's what I found in the console by searching for SD and Copy job.
No, I'm not quitting SD! while it's copying, since there's no drive to copy to and the copy job is there on hold for me to discover it.

Copy job.app part:
That's OS X trying to dismiss the dialog I guess. Note that the dialog itself stays onscreen even well after the desktop has disappeared during the log out / reboot process.

Code:
18/09/2008 12:07:06 loginwindow[34] sendQuitEventToApp (Copy Job): AESendMessage returned error -1712 
18/09/2008 12:07:06 loginwindow[34] ERROR | -[ApplicationManager quitPrivateProcesses] | Application "Copy Job" did not respond to quit event
SUperduper part:
(the last bit is me closing SD but the dialog which stays open)

Code:
18/09/2008 04:30:05 SuperDuper![1094] .scriptSuite warning for attribute 'boundsAsQDRect' of class 'NSWindow' in suite 'NSCoreSuite': 'NSData<QDRect>' is not a valid type name. 
18/09/2008 04:30:05 SuperDuper![1094] .scriptSuite warning for type 'NSTextStorage' attribute 'name' of class 'NSApplication' in suite 'NSCoreSuite': AppleScript name references may not work for this property because its type is not NSString-derived. 
18/09/2008 04:30:05 SuperDuper![1094] .scriptSuite warning for type 'NSTextStorage' attribute 'lastComponentOfFileName' of class 'NSDocument' in suite 'NSCoreSuite': AppleScript name references may not work for this property because its type is not NSString-derived. 
18/09/2008 04:30:05 SuperDuper![1094] .scriptSuite warning for type 'NSTextStorage' attribute 'lastComponentOfFileName' of class 'NSDocument' in suite 'NSCoreSuite': AppleScript name references may not work for this property because its type is not NSString-derived. 
18/09/2008 04:30:05 SuperDuper![1094] .scriptSuite warning for attribute 'boundsAsQDRect' of class 'NSWindow' in suite 'NSCoreSuite': 'NSData<QDRect>' is not a valid type name. 
18/09/2008 04:30:05 SuperDuper![1094] .scriptSuite warning for type 'NSTextStorage' attribute 'title' of class 'NSWindow' in suite 'NSCoreSuite': AppleScript name references may not work for this property because its type is not NSString-derived. 
18/09/2008 04:30:05 SuperDuper![1094] .scriptSuite warning for superclass of class 'NSAttachmentTextStorage' in suite 'NSTextSuite': 'NSString' is not a valid class name. 
18/09/2008 04:30:12 SuperDuper![1094] The automatic copy aborted because SuperDuper! could not locate the Source volume named 120. 
18/09/2008 10:49:16 com.apple.launchd[207] ([0x0-0x77077].com.blacey.SuperDuper![1094]) Exited: Terminated
Hope it tells you something...

Last edited by tommasoh; 09-18-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

It looks like the error with Copy Job happened much earlier, at 12:06...
Old 12-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Unable to dismiss "Copy Job" window -- details

I have been using SuperDuper! since 2006 and am very happy with it. It saved me lots of time when I've had drives fail.

This morning my computer shows a small window titled "Copy Job.app", with the text "SuperDuper! got an error: Connection is invalid." and an "OK" button.

I'm writing because the "OK" button doesn't dismiss the window -- it doesn't do anything. (I'm not worried about the error it is describing; I've resolved that myself.) This is the second or third time this or something similar has happened to me (and from this thread it has happened to others), so I thought I'd pass on as much as I can about the problem in the hope that I give you enough info to fix it.

Here's what I can tell you about the problem:

This happened using SuperDuper! Version 2.7.1 (v91).

The SuperDuper! process itself is gone; only it's "Copy Job" process is running.

Clicking on the window does NOT bring it to the front; that is, does not make visible any parts of the window that are obscured by other windows.

Clicking on the "OK" button also does nothing -- even make the button brighten or dim or change in any other way momentarily.

A process named "Copy Job" appears in Activity Monitor as being owned by me with three threads. The process is getting and sending Mach messages and making Unix system calls and having context switches, and every 8 seconds it uses 0.1 second of CPU time.

There is nothing relevant in the Console log.

The window does not appear in the display when I "Option - Tab", nor is it in the Dock. (Which seems reasonable; it is a background program -- but I thought I'd mention it.)

Although this is probably irrelevant, I am using OS X 10.8.5 Build 12F45 on an early 2011 MacBook Pro with a 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 and 16 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 memory. The main drive is an OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD. (The error was accessing an external drive via Firewire.)

A "Quit" in Activity monitor successfully closed the window and quits the process. (A "Force Quit" was not required.)

A "Sample process" from Activity Monitor (before I quit the process) is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Copy Job sample.txt (34.8 KB, 2560 views)
Old 12-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Administrator

This is because it has been launched from cron and isn't attached to the same window server. Indeed, quit will quit it - and 2.7.2 should prevent it from ever appearing.

Tags
connection is invalid