Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2006, 11:41 AM

SD failed to quit & iTunes

Hi, Dave!

I'm finally implementing a backup solution and have given SuperDuper! a spin. Here are my questions.

I have a 80GB laptop drive in two partitions: A (8.5GB), B (66GB). A is a bootable OS X 10.3.9 with recovery tools, B is the same but my usual boot partition. I have a 300GB drive (Seagate Barracuda) in a FireWire case (AMS Venus DS3** which is USB 2.0/FireWire 400). I partitioned it: C (80GB), D (199GB).

**Model DS-2316CBK if anyone is interested. It works with Mac for FireWire booting. Has a 4 pin FireWire port and a 6 pin, so you can daisy chain. Comes with a power adapter with a normal plug that won't hog more than one outlet.

Procedure:
1. I wanted to copy B to C.
2. Test to see if I can reboot off of C (which should have B's system files).
3. Move my personal files off of B onto D, and clear out some of the files from C to D***
4. Reformat the laptop completely. Likely I'll go back to the one partition default.
5. Copy C back to the laptop (or reinstall from scratch if this is not possible, but it seems to be ok).

***The D partition I plan to organize as a complete archive of my disparate files, manually, in the best OS 9-era- spacial-finder- personal-folder-structure tradition. SuperDuper! will not be handling the archive part, just the backup to C.

Refuses to quit

I thought I managed the first step. I only had SuperDuper running, and after the copy I had wanted to reboot from C to see if it would work. I got:

Logout has timed out because the
application SuperDuper failed to quit. To
try again, quit SuperDuper and choose
Log Out from the Apple menu.

You can use the Force Quit menu item in the Apple
menu (or press Command+Option+Esc) to quit an
unresponsive application.
[ OK ]

So I just quit the app and restarted. Here's the console for launching SuperDuper! but before copying:

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (imdc/MP42/MSFT)
crontab: no crontab for polarbear
2006-02-01 19:42:36.629 SuperDuper![737] attribute terminology dictionary not found for attribute path in class AbstractObject in suite NSCoreSuite
2006-02-01 19:42:36.629 SuperDuper![737] attribute terminology dictionary not found for attribute path in class NSDocument in suite NSCoreSuite
2006-02-01 19:42:36.629 SuperDuper![737] attribute terminology dictionary not found for attribute path in class SDSessionSettings in suite SuperDuperSuite

And this is after the above error occured:

2006-02-01 21:12:59.017 SuperDuper![737] ***ERROR OCCURRED: ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (imdc/MP42/MSFT)

The end of the SuperDuper log gives:

| 09:12:52 PM | Info | PHASE: 3. After Successful Copy
| 09:12:52 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Making North Pole bootable
| 09:12:52 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS X System Folder
| 09:12:56 PM | Info | Successfully blessed Mac OS X folder on North Pole
| 09:12:56 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS 9 System Folder
| 09:12:56 PM | Info | Successfully blessed Mac OS 9 System Folder on North Pole
| 09:12:56 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Restoring Spotlight search indexing state on North Pole
| 09:12:56 PM | Info | Indexing was not enabled because North Pole is not a 10.4 Volume
| 09:12:56 PM | Info | PHASE: 4. And Finally...
| 09:12:56 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Rebooting from North Pole
| 09:12:56 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Setting startup disk to North Pole
| 09:12:56 PM | Info | Successfully set North Pole as startup disk
| 09:12:56 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Restarting computer
| 09:12:56 PM | Info | Copy complete.

| 09:12:59 PM | Error | ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (imdc/MP42/MSFT)

I rebooted with haxies off if that's the next question.

Manually quitting (from the menubar) and restarting gives me a copy booting from the backup. Yay!

iTunes

If I make a backup of my iTunes library and restore this to the same computer, will it subtract one from the number of computers I can play my songs on? I don't think it would, but I fear some weird application of DRM and/or Murphy's Law!