Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2006, 06:57 PM

Shell/perl scripting and permissions? FTP

I need to run a shell script to FTP the completed sparseimage backup to an offsite machine (no I can't mount the drive). I'm a reasonable perl coder and have a script that - from the command line - does everything I need. However, when called from SD it dies with an error buried deep within the Net::FTP module code.

Since a simple script that just dumps environment variables works fine when called from SD I suspect it's a permissions problem on the perl modules used. For the perl-savvy amongst you, I can 'use Net::FTP' perfectly well ... so the script can find the correct module. However, creation of the $ftp object ...

$ftp = Net::FTP->new('ip' etc etc);

doesn't even die gracefully, just fails horribly with a cryptic error. Any suggestions? From the ownership of the log files created during debugging (or rather, not debugging) this script it looks as though SD runs as root.

As an aside, are there other users who have a different solution for the same problem - applescript or bash perhaps?

Thanks
David