Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-01-2009, 05:36 PM

Backup - All Files: Except Time Machine & MobileMe Preferences

Periodically, I boot my Daily Full Backup to run disk utilities on my primary boot drive. While this may seem naive, I can’t find the specific files that control the preferences for Time Machine & MobileMe. It’s a pain to boot on the backup and quickly disable the Sync Settings on MobileMe and to Turn off Time Machine on the Backup Drive before either has a chance to start processing. i.e. I don’t want the Backup drive to update MobileMe or run an incremental Time Machine Backup.

Does anyone know which files retain these settings so I can exclude them from the Backup - All Files script?

I’m running Snow Leopard 10.6.1 (10B504)
Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Perhaps disconnect your network and backup (TM) drive instead?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Perhaps disconnect your network and backup (TM) drive instead?
I explained my goal badly.

I run a full backup every day of my standard boot drive: 'Macintosh HD' to an online, always spinning backup: 'Macintosh 2'

I intentionally don't run this a a RAID 0 because it gives me a 24 hour lag to deal with software and/or data corruption issues.

Both the 'Time Machine' and 'Macintosh 2' only backup: 'Macintosh HD'

Occasionally I boot from 'Macintosh 2' to run disk utils on 'Macintosh HD'

Because of the intentional 24 hour lag on 'Macintosh 2' as soon as it boots it will start a MobileMe & Time Machine sync because 'Macintosh 2' is an exact copy of 'Macintosh HD' of which the time thresholds have elapsed. Perhaps I should search for a command line argument to reset Time Machine and MobileMe (off) after the SD copy?

In essence I never want 'Macintosh 2' to run a MobileMe sync or a Time Machine backup (the data is always xx hours out of date.)

The goal is to keep it simple. (there's another 20TB's of storage that sync's in realtime off-site + a 3 day physical rotation)
Old 11-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
That's why I was suggesting disconnecting the Time Machine drive and networking when starting up from the backup. Then they can't run.

Tags
exclude, mobileme, preferences, time machine