Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 05-29-2007, 03:38 PM

WD My Book OK?

hi i know what the recommended FW HDs are but I was wondering if the WD My Book is OK to use as my back up drive...they have that at costco.

any users using this and having problems with it?

thanks.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Yep, we've had good reports from people with the MyBook Pros.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:12 PM

thanks, dave!

an additional question please...

i just got the apple exreme base station and intend to connect the external hd to it so i can access it wirelessly...however, for the first full back up, do you recommend that i do direct connection to the hd? will incremental back ups be a problem done wirelessly?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Yes. Please see "Backing up over a network" in the User's Guide and the "Airport Disks" post at the Shirt Pocket Watch as well...
Old 05-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Yep, we've had good reports from people with the MyBook Pros.
dave,

i specifically have the MyBook Premium Edition with dual interface (usb and firewire) NOT the MyBook Pro Edition..

do you know if the MyBook Premium Edition works as well and also do you know off hand if it's bootable?

thanks.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

I don't know, but perhaps someone else will chime in.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:06 AM

No problem!

Hello iGroove,

I have the 300GB MyBook Premium and it works just fine. I've booted from it via firewire as well.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrooveLA View Post
dave,

i specifically have the MyBook Premium Edition with dual interface (usb and firewire) NOT the MyBook Pro Edition..

do you know if the MyBook Premium Edition works as well and also do you know off hand if it's bootable?

thanks.
I have two of those 500GB Costco specials (dang, they're $169 now) and use the FW400 connections on both. On a long backup e.g. a full clone the drive gets pretty hot but it doesn't seem to mind. They're really nice drives and yes they are bootable assuming you've made a good clone.

One suggestion I have is to NOT install any of the software that comes with those drives e.g. the driver for the blue lights on the front, and their crappy backup app (you already have SD the LED driver is buggy and makes the lights so bright that they're really distracting (mine are next to my display). The pie wedges don't work without the driver but big deal; you still get the spinny lights on disk access.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:05 PM

thanks all for the information...i'll prolly go ahead and get the 500 GB WD MyBook Premium Edition...by the way, they went down to $149.99 now at Costco!
Old 06-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Administrator

Amazing how fast prices drop for storage!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM

WD My Book Premium II HD Boot Issue with PPC

Hi,

This drive is an attractive deal, and we've been happy with it. However, below I've pasted "Answer ID:1474" from Western Digital Support FAQs, and I can confirm five things:

1. The "My Book Premium Edition II Triple Interface 1TB" drive will NOT work as a boot drive for PPC--in my case an iMac with iSight--and apparently no fix is available. WD indicates it's a problem with how "the first SCSI LUN" (huh?) is used during boot.

2. However, it works great with my Intel MacBook Pro--IF I hold down the option key while booting, then select the external firewire drive.

3. It takes a long time to boot the first time you do this, but thereafter is speedy. (We're using firewire 800)

4. It's a very quiet drive until the fans kick-in, and then it's pretty loud. The fans kick-in only when the drive is working hard (like during a SuperDuper! Clone). It appears to be a great drive for cloning Intel Macs--it has two 500 MB drives in it, and we're running it as a 500 MB with a 500 MB mirror (RAID1) in three partitions.

5. The boot problem is apparently not related to APM or GUID issues--as described below.

I hope this info is of some use--we just purchased two licenses of SuperDuper! and couldn't be happier.

Regards,

audiovideo

------------------------

Problem:
The WD My Book Premium II or Pro II hard drive will not function as a boot drive when connected by FireWire (1394a and 1394b) to PPC based Apple computer. The WD My Book Premium II and Pro II will boot under Intel based Apple computers when the Operating System is installed from installation disks.

Cause:
This is caused because the Apple ROM code and Open Boot architecture check for the first SCSI LUN to boot from. The WD My Book Premium II and Pro II architectural design uses the first SCSI LUN as the "communication" port to talk with the firmware of the drive.

Resolution:
There is currently no resolution to this issue.
-----------------------------------
http://support.wdc.com/?p_sid=FYlbSzIi
Old 08-07-2007, 02:30 PM

correction: GB not MB

Woops: "500 MB with a 500 MB mirror (RAID1) in three partitions"
Should read "500 GB"
Old 08-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info!