Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-30-2009, 01:08 AM

Hang during Smart Update

Hi,

I hadn't backed up my MacBook in a few months, so I decided I was overdue for a Smart Update. I've tried a number of times over the past several nights, but Smart Update continues to hang after evaluating about 25 GB.

The first night I let it run for about 45 minutes, but it showed no progress after the first 15 minutes or so. Since then I've been stopping the update after about five minutes of no progress.

If it matters, I'm backing up to a Western Digital external drive that's connected via USB. I've used Disk Utility's "repair disk" function on the external drive, but it never turns up any problems with the disk.

FYI, I'm running OS 10.5.8 and I just updated to the latest version of SuperDuper tonight. I was hopeful the update would solve the problem, but it didn't. Prior to this problem, I had never had any problem with SuperDuper.

Finally, I tried to submit feedback via the SuperDuper application itself, but for some reason my message didn't go through. If you need to contact me via e-mail or if you need me to attach the SuperDuper log, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Yes, please send me some email to support and we'll try to figure out what's going on.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:47 PM

I just wanted to follow up and say that Dave responded to my email query almost immediately and the problem turned out to be no problem. What I thought was "hanging" turned out to be just the result of SuperDuper's copying a very large file that took a long time to copy.

Thanks for a great product and outstanding support, Dave.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:29 PM

why not post solutions in forum

I've been having a similar problem (a couple problems, actually) and have been searching the forums for possible solutions. I've come across a number of posts where Shirt Pocket support responds by saying "send me an email and we'll try to help."

I appreciate that they are so willing to be helpful, but why not use the forum to conduct the dialog so that a knowledgebase is created to help others having similar issues?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Because the solutions involved are nearly always specific to a user. I ask people to post the results to the thread if they'd like, but having them post system logs and the like to a public forum is unnecessary and a bit silly.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rggoode View Post
I…, but why not use the forum to conduct the dialog so that a knowledgebase is created to help others having similar issues?
If it could be more regularly updated (which, of course, is challenging with only Dave doing it along with proficiently handling a zillion other support-related issues ) I think the Frequently Asked Questions subforum better serves the purpose of a forum-based knowledge base. Helps keep that type of information more distinct, accessible, and accurate than when it's mixed with discussions. In general, I've always felt that forums make a poor substitute for what's more traditionally considered as a knowledge base.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Administrator

The big problem is that the FAQ won't help users who need to be stepped through diagnosis. After all, there's a pretty extensive Troubleshooting section of the User's Guide, and it does help with virtually all cases...
Old 09-13-2009, 01:09 PM

Super Duper! Support is Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by rggoode View Post
I've been having a similar problem (a couple problems, actually) and have been searching the forums for possible solutions. I've come across a number of posts where Shirt Pocket support responds by saying "send me an email and we'll try to help."

I appreciate that they are so willing to be helpful, but why not use the forum to conduct the dialog so that a knowledgebase is created to help others having similar issues?
I can think of no other software company that will help you so fast as Shirt Pocket without some extra support fee charged. When Dave says send an email- I do and he responds. I read the FAQ discussions and the SD manual
also.

-Larco
Old 09-13-2009, 08:03 PM

I agree with Larco. SD is a great program with excellent support.