Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-05-2009, 11:45 PM

Forever long backup of large disk

I want to do automated backups and I have set SuperDuper to backup my image drive (the one I shoot to daily) to create a duplicate of it at night. Normally I'd just physically copy the job to the backup and then again to a second backup but sometimes you'll make changes and forget to update the backup.

The problem is it's taking forever. So far it's been 6 hours and the status bar hasn't moved and it's copied 300gb of files. I have about 1.7TB on this drive and I tried it yesterday but after 12 hours had to quit as it hadn't made a dent. Does SuperDuper have a limit? How long will this take?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I don't have much information about the types of drives you're backing up, what you're backing it up to, etc.

Generally, on Intel, a Backup will run at 4-6MB/s on USB, and 8-12MB/s on FireWire, if it's a full backup for the first time.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:05 AM

I'm backing up from a 2TB (striped) internal hard drive on a Mac Pro running 10.5.6 to a LaCie 2TB drive via Firewire 800. I left it overnight and now it appears to have copied everything but it was still working when I check this morning. It took 15 hours.

Now that it's backed up will it always take this long? Just evaluating the files took forever even though I was using Smart Update. Daily backups won't be practical if it takes over half a day and weekly backups aren't smart or safe. Any observations?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 AM

Okay, I've answered my own question - or rather SuperDuper did. It's schedule is off because it took so long to make the initial backup of the main image drive but, with no changes to that drive, it took about 2-3 minutes to evaluate the whole 1.5TB (37,000+ files) of data and then determine the backup was fine. That's fantastic and since an average job is no more than 20-30GB in a day I think it will be able to back that up in an evening with no problem. I'll have to quit shutting the machine down but that's fine.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Right, there you go.

Last edited by dnanian; 02-06-2009 at 01:01 PM.