Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-10-2004, 11:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to ted_pearlman Send a message via Yahoo to ted_pearlman
Using SD to Move from One Machine to Another

Hi,

I'm a former CCC user, and am excited to find SD, which seems to be more straight forward.

Here's my project:

I have a new Powerbook G4 17 and I want to move everything on it to a new Powerbook G4 12, then reformat and install OSX on the 17 for someone else to use.

I'm guessing the best way to transfer from the 17 to the 12 is to:

1) do a "backup - all files" from the 17 to my external HD
2) boot the 17 from the external after the backup to see if the backup works.
3) Shutdown, attach the external to the 12 and boot up from the external.
4) Then do a "backup - all files" from the external to the 12, while the 12 is running from the external.
5) Test.
6) Enjoy.

Question 1: Am I right about the above?

Question 2:The 17 and the 12 are physically close relatives, but not identical. Does putting the exact image of the 17 onto the 12 introduce any strange problems?

Question 3: Isn't ASR supposed to fit into the process somewhere? If so, how?

Thanks for the great software,

Ted
Old 02-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi, Ted -- glad you're giving SuperDuper a try. Hopefully, you'll find that we're both easier to use and more powerful: when you move to the 12" PB, please consider partitioning and creating a Safety Clone, which will protect you against future problems. It's a great time to do it, since you're going to whack the drive anyway.

To get to your questions:

Q1: Yes, that's exactly what I'd do (save for partitioning for a future Safety Clone).

Q2: It *should* work fine. You'll find out quickly, because it won't even boot from the external drive if it's not going to work. That's why it's wise to do it this way, rather than using -- for example -- firewire target disk mode (a one-step option, but more dangerous).

Q3: Nah: since you're doing a drive->drive copy, there's no need to use ASR, which is more for restoring from images. ASR is used by SD when you restore an imaged backup, but not drive to drive.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-10-2004, 01:23 PM

Thanks, Dave, for the quick response.

Follow up...

Question 1:

So, if I make a safety clone with the "Safety clone – shared users and applications" option, I only need room on the backup safety partition for everything OTHER than the user folders and applications folder, right?

Quesiton 2:

I'm leaning toward building my PB12 the old-fashioned way, piece by piece, rather than copying the contents of my PB17 verbatim. This is not because I'm worried about using SD, but rather because I'm not so proud of the condition of the files on my 17, and not sure I want to "infect" my new 12 with those problems.

Are there specific folders outside the user folder, such as Root\Library, which would be good to copy verbatim from the old machine to the new? I want to cut down on re-entering registration/serial number info but I don't want to jeapordize the integrity of my newly installed system.

Question 3:

Since most of what I care about backing up is in my user folder, the safety clone mode won't be backing that up. If I use the "Backup – all files" to make a full backup is there any way to do incremental (changes only) backup to that full backup instead of having to do a full backup every time? I couldn't quite figure this out from the documentation, but, again, the problem is probably me.

Thanks again,

Ted in Denver
Old 02-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So, if I make a safety clone with the "Safety clone – shared users and applications" option, I only need room on the backup safety partition for everything OTHER than the user folders and applications folder, right?
Yes, and some slack space for swapfiles, temp files and the like. Note that some applications -- Apple's, for example -- need to be copied to ensure that any software updates applied to them are isolated to the clone.

Don't cut it TOO close.

Quote:
I'm leaning toward building my PB12 the old-fashioned way, piece by piece, rather than copying the contents of my PB17 verbatim. This is not because I'm worried about using SD, but rather because I'm not so proud of the condition of the files on my 17, and not sure I want to "infect" my new 12 with those problems.

Are there specific folders outside the user folder, such as Root\Library, which would be good to copy verbatim from the old machine to the new? I want to cut down on re-entering registration/serial number info but I don't want to jeapordize the integrity of my newly installed system.
Boy, that depends on a lot of different things. Some apps store things in /Library/Preferences or /Library/Application Support, but they also usually need other things left around, too.

If you're going to be partial cloning for the purposes of moving data from machine to machine, I'd isolate your copied data to /Users. It's a bit of a pain, yes, but safer.

Note that if you're just copying stuff like this, you can just plug the machines together with Ethernet cable. It's easier, if you're creating a whole new "platform".

Be very careful to ensure that your user ID is the same on both machines. Otherwise, your permissions are likely to get messed up...

Quote:
Since most of what I care about backing up is in my user folder, the safety clone mode won't be backing that up. If I use the "Backup – all files" to make a full backup is there any way to do incremental (changes only) backup to that full backup instead of having to do a full backup every time? I couldn't quite figure this out from the documentation, but, again, the problem is probably me.
It's never you: if you don't understand, it's because I didn't do a good job explaining it. Seriously.

Anyway: the Safety Clone is not a "backup": its purpose is to isolate the system and applications from potential problems.

Regular backups can't be done with only changed files, but stay tuned...
Old 02-10-2004, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dnanian
Be very careful to ensure that your user ID is the same on both machines. Otherwise, your permissions are likely to get messed up...
How do I make sure the User ID is the same on both machines?

Thanks again for your ridiculously fast response.

Ted
Old 02-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Administrator

The easiest way is to ensure that the users are created in the same order when doing the initial install, if you've got > 1 user.

If you only have 1 user, it should be created with the proper UID.

To verify, go into a terminal session, switch to your home directory (which should be the default), and type:

ls -ln

You'll see something like this:

drwxr-xr-x 3 501 20 102 27 Jan 20:10 Applications

"501" is your user ID (as opposed to your user name). 501 is the "1st user" created on OS X, 502 would be the 2nd, etc.

If it's not, there are ways to change it in NetInfo, but let's not get into that now: could be messy, and you could wreck things.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dnanian
The easiest way is to ensure that the users are created in the same order when doing the initial install, if you've got > 1 user.

If you only have 1 user, it should be created with the proper UID.

To verify, go into a terminal session, switch to your home directory (which should be the default), and type:

ls -ln

You'll see something like this:

drwxr-xr-x 3 501 20 102 27 Jan 20:10 Applications

"501" is your user ID (as opposed to your user name). 501 is the "1st user" created on OS X, 502 would be the 2nd, etc.

If it's not, there are ways to change it in NetInfo, but let's not get into that now: could be messy, and you could wreck things.
Perfect, Dave. My ID is 501. Changing my user ID NAME (for ex: "ted" to "teddy") can cause problems too, though? If not with SD, then possibly with other applications, even if the ID # per above is the same?

Ted
Old 02-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Well, it won't cause problems with permissions, but it could cause other problems, yes...

I suggest using the same user name across all your systems, if possible...