Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 01-17-2005, 09:38 AM

Switching to a new ibook

I am just about to upgrade from a 600 ghz ibook to a brand new 1.33GHz ibook with the following configuration:

Memory 065-5237 768MB DDR266
Hard Drive 065-5241 80GB ATA Drive
Optical Drive 065-5244 SUPER DRIVE
Airport 065-5246 Airport Extreme Card
BlueTooth 065-4662 Internal BlueTooth Module

My old ibook does not have a super drive, has a smaller (30 gig) hard drive, has the older airport card (not extreme) and does not have a bluetooth module.

I am planning on cloning my old ibook to my LaCie hard drive, and then cloning that to the new ibook. Will I have any trouble with my system recognizing the superdrive, bluetooth, extreme card, new hard drive, etc?

I would love it if I don't have to reload all my software, files, pictures, itunes music etc. and preferences into the new ibook.

Do you see any problems I would run into doing this?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You don't say what version of the OS you're running on the old iBook. The basic deal is that if you've got a new computer, as long as the version of the OS installed on the volume you're trying to boot from was released *after* that computer was introduced, you're golden -- new versions of the OS will boot all (supported) Macs that are on the market, including Apple-provided things like BT/SuperDrive, etc.

If you're nervous, try booting the new computer from the LaCie FireWire drive! Again, name it the same as the original drive (e.g. Macintosh HD), but then hook it up to the new computer and hold down Option while powering it on. It'll give you the choice of which drive to boot from: pick the LaCie. Everything should work great -- once you're happy, you can run SD! from that drive to copy to the internal drive (same name again).

Hope that helps!
Old 01-17-2005, 11:53 AM

Thanks - sorry, I am running 10.3.7 so I am guessing there won't be a problem. Thanks for the quick responses and I am starting to see why people said this was the best $20 they've spent on software !!

Thanks sincerely,

John
Old 01-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Administrator

No sorry necessary, John -- glad to help. We hope to count you in our chorus of happy users -- tell some friends!
Old 01-17-2005, 05:27 PM

Dave, a question about this process. What would be the advantage of copying from the clone of the existing system to the new system instead of using the Apple transfer assistant that offers to move apps, prefs, etc. ?

I ask this question because SD has been a problem-free way for me to clone and smart update to external FW my QS G4..just a great app! Also, why would you need to rename the clone to match the new internal ?

Brian
Old 01-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Administrator

The new Apple Transfer Assistant works very well for most people. But it doesn't transfer all applications properly, nor does it handle every kernel extension and the like.

If you want to take the purchase of a new machine as a way to 'clean up' your system, it's great. But if you want everything to just "come over" as quickly as possible, the clone works better. (Of course, if it's something like the Mac mini that ships with a build of the OS that's not available elsewhere, you don't have a choice -- you have to use the assistant.)

When you boot from a clone, applications that store aliases have the volume name in the alias along with the folder 'path'. So, when they resolve the alias, you want them to resolve to the clone -- or the new drive -- rather than to something less convenient. As such, it's best to name the clone the same as the drive it was copied from -- that way the aliases resolve to the new boot drive preferentially.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:48 PM

So, if I follow you, it would make sense when I get a new system to make sure that the OSX build number on my G4 QS system is equal to or later than the build number on the new system? And, should I be naming the clone on my OWC external FW the same name as my current internal drive (I have not been doing this and have not seen any problems)
Old 01-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Administrator

That's right, though it's difficult to tell if a given build number is actually 'ahead' of a previous one, in a given dot-release. But the *next* dot-release is *usually* good to go (and it's easy to check -- just call Apple or ask on the forums... or even try booting from the clone, as long as you still have the original, no harm done).

You don't *have* to name the backup the same as the original. But, for the reasons above, things work best if you do. You might not notice a problem, but -- for example -- try unmounting the original drive after booting from the clone. If there are files open on it, this is why.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to slboettcher
I've done this but...

As I read on a forum somewhere, there may be hardware-level components that don't get installed for YOUR model if you do it this way.
So...
After I cloned, I ran the latest Apple OS Combo Updater as a precaution - the system seems perfect, so give that a shot - you have nothing to lose.
If it doesn't work, you can try another method.

SB