Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 01:45 PM

version for 10.5 almost out?

The other day I saw an update for a preliminary 10.5 version. I did not get it downloaded but since have not seen it. I'm assuming it was pulled. Is there a test version we can try, or _hopefully_ is it going to be out soon?! Thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
There has not been an update, no...
Old 11-26-2007, 08:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to gryphonent Send a message via AIM to gryphonent
It's now been a month without a decent update and I'm truly getting frustrated with this "we're ready when we're ready attitude." A backup is better than no backup... it's as simple as that. Mark the beta as Beta, Alpha... some simple incomplete backup is better than no backup.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

I've been updating the blog, if you've looked there. But I'm not going to release a beta or alpha version to the public, sorry. If you need a backup, you have Time Machine... which does work, and is one of the main "reasons" people jumped on Leopard so quickly, no?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 AM

SuperDuper! for Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
If you need a backup, you have Time Machine... which does work, and is one of the main "reasons" people jumped on Leopard so quickly, no?
I don't consider Time Machine a substitute, even temporary, for SuperDuper!, because Time Machine does not create a bootable backup.

I am using CCC, that works under Leopard, and creates a bootable backup, but I'd like to continue to rely upon SuperDuper! when (if?) a Leopard compatible release is available.

IMO, of course.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 AM

I don't know how many more times and in how many more ways we can be told that we'll get a new build when it's ready. If I'm entrusting the integrity of my data to Shirt Pocket, if I'm going to run to them for support if a backup created by their software doesn't work when I'm in a bind, isn't it understandable that they will do whatever they can to ensure, to the best of their ability, that their software never doesn't work?

Those of us who bought Leopard when it was released have had it for a month now. Considering that developers who are members of ADC actually were only able to download the GM *after* we already had our shiny new boxes, and considering how much time a month actually is (not much, for coding and QA), and considering the importance of my data to me, I'm content to wait for SD! until it's ready. Those of us who aren't are welcome to look for other solutions, and that's fine. But how does it help to badger the developer to release something? Given the reports I've read about the integrity of CCC's clones and smart updates being called into question over time, it's clear enough to me that the time Shirt Pocket are investing into making SD! rock-solid is not time squandered.

We've had blog updates and have some indication of the snags that Shirt Pocket are encountering. I think it's been made pretty clear, at least to my satisfaction, that they're not sitting on their laurels and getting a laugh out of making us wait. I'm impatient too (my first post on these forums, embarrassingly enough, was to request an ETA), but I think that wondering "if" a Leopard update is coming, when we know it is, is kind of uncalled for.

I don't mean to cause anyone any offence, but as one who visits these forums daily (and therefore sees similar sentiments constantly articulated), I just think we should lay off 'em for a bit. If I thought we could speed development along by wielding a cattle prod, I'd be first in line to do so. =]
Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavital View Post
I don't consider Time Machine a substitute, even temporary, for SuperDuper!, because Time Machine does not create a bootable backup.
You can boot the Leopard DVD and restore from Time Machine right from the install, though. It's not a bad substitute for now.

I, for one, am patiently waiting for SuperDuper. I'd rather have it right and reliable than learn that there are problems when I most need it. I keep checking for an update, but I trust that there are good reasons why it is not yet ready.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
I've been updating the blog, if you've looked there. But I'm not going to release a beta or alpha version to the public, sorry. If you need a backup, you have Time Machine... which does work, and is one of the main "reasons" people jumped on Leopard so quickly, no?
Actually, no... Time Machine does NOT work. I've had Leopard freeze a dozen times since my format/install, leaving me wishing this thing had a Ctrl-Alt-Delete function. The only thing that brings it back is pulling the plug on the machine, or turning off the external Backup drive, then turning off TM (IF the system unlocks when the external is turned off).

Don't even get me started on backing up when I've shared the external drive to my MacBook Pro.

What support comes from Apple? "::crickets::" That's what.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Leopard freezing up sound like Leopard not working, MasterRanger...