Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2005, 08:23 PM

Question making external hard drive bootable with SuperDuper

I downloaded the freeware version of SuperDuper and backed up the hard drive from my Powerbook G4 to an Iomega 250 GB hard drive via FireWire. The backup was successful and I was given the option of making the external backup bootable. Before I could choose that option, I was encouraged to purchase the shareware version of SuperDuper, which I did. After the purchase, I no longer had the option to finish the backup by designating the drive as bootable. In fact it appeared that SuperDuper wanted me to perform another backup which would result in erasing what I had already done. I explored the Smart Update option but still had a message saying my previous work would be erased. I am trying to get things protected so I can install Tiger on my Powerbook. I am now running the latest version of Panther. Here are my related questions:

1) Do I need to make the external drive bootable and if so, how do I do that after the fact?

2) If I use the Smart Update option, will it erase everything and start all over or just add any new files?

3) I read your recommendation against doing a Clean Install of Tiger in another post. I was planning on doing that and am now having second thoughts but have also heard that just doing an Upgrade can lead to problems. Please advise further and inform me of any issues using SuperDuper with Tiger.

Thank you for your help with these questions!