Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
SD! absolutely can be used with 10.4.10 without hassles. I'm doing it myself, as are the vast majority of users out there in the field...

Why you are having difficulty I don't know, and that's what I'm trying to help with in this thread.
Here is exactly what caused the problem for me (problem is disk images don't mount, HELP doesn't work, and SD can't schedule copies, and probably more):

Computers: both iMac G5 1.8 1GB memory, 250GB internal drive, backup drive OWC Mercury 250GB FW 400; OS: 10.4.10

Do a full backup on computer one from a drive called Ellies iMac G5

Restore on computer number two which has a running 10.4.10 on its system drive (named Jens Photo iMac G5): boot from the system drive, use preferences to change the startup drive to the FW backup, then restart.

Once restarted, start SD on the boot drive (the FW drive), and do a full backup to the internal system drive (erase and copy); I didn't rename the drive, and I didn't really check anything on the FW drive other than starting SD.

Once done, start up from the internal drive, and all sorts of problem will occur. I "renamed" the internal drive to that of the backed up (computer 1) drive, no change: HELP fail, disk images fail to mount, SD can't schedule (script error of some sort).

When I rebooted from the FW backup to check things out, it had the exact same problems even before the restore!

It would appear that there is something in 10.4.10 which gets tied to the specific hardware and/or serial numbers which was not the case in prior versions.

When I did the suggested rebuild of the launch database on the internal drive of computer 2, it seems to fix things. I still don't trust it completely, but the few things I tried appear to be OK: HELP works, images can be mounted, and SD can schedule a backup.

I hope this helps isolate the issue for SD. I prefer SD to trying to use DU because Smart backup is fast and I can schedule daily backups to unmounted (but spun up) drives, and integration with Growl can send me email on success or failure.

Eddie O

Last edited by edoates; 09-21-2007 at 12:53 PM. Reason: fix typo