Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_johnsen View Post
Using a sand box to "play with" a new major release of the OS is a bad idea.

Between major releases the bundled applications (Mail, iCal, Address Book, etc.) will often change how they store user data. In addition, there are probably also changes in how System Preferences stores its data (new options, changes to how old options are recorded, etc.). Since both the original OS and the new OS will share user data in a sandbox scenario, any user data that is upgraded to the format that the new OS uses will be unreadable in the old OS.

The problem would be lessened if you do not use any of the built-in application, but even configuration settings made in System Preferences might not be backwards compatible.

Just as examples, I know iCal data from Leopard (10.5) is not backwards compatible with Tiger (10.4). And Tiger's Mail user data is not backwards compatible with Panther (10.3). I do not know if Snow Leopard (10.6) introduces incompatibilities with Leopard, but I would certainly not bet that there are none. I have heard that the Migration Assistant will refuse to migrate user data from installations of newer OS releases, probably because of this backwards compatibility issue.
I agree with you that backwards incompatibility is a big problem. I don't use any of the bundled applications you mentioned, but the really bad idea is not making the data backwards compatible. I also think that I would go back to a previous system only if all other possibilities had been exhausted. For example, the person who originated this thread might want to check to see if there are updated versions of the applications that aren't working. Non-backwards compatible data generated since "upgrading" to the newer version of an OS will be unavailable regardless of whether or not a Sandbox is used. However, if a Sandbox IS used, and the person hasn't replaced the old system on Macintosh HD by using the procedure on page 38 of the User's Guide, the old system and all data that is backwards compatible will be available without the need to reinstall the old system and use Migration Assistant that may not migrate. Later, after a few updates to the new system, the person may go back to the new, updated system. I don't know whether the data that was not backwards compatible will still be available once the new system is reinstalled, but it might be the only way to preserve all data that has been generated.

Personally, I had a confluence of problems when I upgraded to 10.6.0. A graphics card broke and was replace on warranty. MS Excel 2004 started crashing with data loss. I had a 10.5.8 SD! clone sitting on one of my internal hard drives that had not been updated since upgrading, but I didn't want to go there because it did not contain all the data I had generated since upgrading. I had not used the "page 38" procedure to put system 10.6.0 on Macintosh HD so I decided I would use 10.5.8 on Macintosh HD (or another clone that had been updated from Macintosh HD) if all else failed because those volumes contained all of my current data. I did battle with 10.6.0 and 10.6.1 on the Sandbox and left 10.5.8 on Macintosh HD just in case I needed it. Finally, I upgraded MS Office to the 2008 version and installed another 2Gb RAM. Since that time, I have had zero trouble with any of my apps and Snow Leopard is humming. In fact, I just recently used the "page 38" procedure to put SL on Macintosh HD and, consequently, on my backups. Sandbox was made so that we could have a chance to use new OS and application releases while preserving a way out if things went poorly. It is, however, vulnerable to backwards incompatibility as you have pointed out. For the reasons mentioned above, I still think using Sandbox for major system upgrades is a good practice, but backward compatibility is still a concern.

Probably the safest practice is to not upgrade until a major new release has reached revision x.x.2 or 3. I've followed that practice in the past and have never felt the need to "downgrade." I took a chance with Snow Leopard 10.6.0 and it cost me a lot of time dealing with issues, but, ironically, they turned out to be issues that would have occurred whenever I upgraded.

Tags
snow leopard 10.6.1