Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Question Is My Book: USB HD fast enough to...

Ah, against my better advise I purchased a USB EXTERNAL HD: WesternDigital "My Book" USB drive: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=723 .

I want to use SuperD to prepare a bootable back up of LEOPARD ( which is located on a FireWire external hard drive ),

Will the ( a ) USB external hard drive be capable or even fast enough to boot Leopard ( and by next week end ) the SnowyLeopard ?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I wish you guys would stop buying these MyBook drives. But, if this is an Intel Mac, it should be reasonable if so.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:31 AM

Thumbs down

Today I had some spare time to try this USB external hard drive with/from my QS G4 PowerMac and the USB drive was painfully slow just in some test copy back and forth.

I will try it with my wife's MacIntel tomorrow but I doubt that it will be any faster or if it can even boot SnowyLeopard.

Right now I am checking out the return not satisfied policy of Staples.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
It's definitely going to be slow with a Quicksilver. Please purchase a high quality FireWire drive (and not a MyBook). See the list of drives in the forum...
Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 PM

Dave, I have two My Book drives I use on my Intel iMac to back up. Yes, they are not FW 800 like I would prefer but for the money, they seem to do fine. I have had no complaints using the drives.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:18 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post
Dave, I have two My Book drives I use on my Intel iMac to back up. Yes, they are not FW 800 like I would prefer but for the money, they seem to do fine. I have had no complaints using the drives.

Interesting:

Can you boot from those my book drives ?

What is the rpm of those drives ?

Did you reformat those drives from PC format to Mac format?

and,

can you record to them in real time ** ?

** I operate a audio recording studio and I need to record directly to the hard drive rather then recording to the internal drive and then copy the project to an external drive. We burn our back ups.

If you are you using those drives strictly for storage of data then for sure they are good enough as USB drives.

The "my book" ( western digital dirve ) I tested was 7200 rpm butthe usb data transfer was too slow and ended up with audio files that would stutter in recording/playback. Cool/retro audio effect but not when you are recording with a client/singer standing there stomping there foot and rolling their eyes in sheer disgust.