Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 PM

Question Can Super Duper Ignore Bad Files?

Hi all,

I'm testing out Super Duper in backing up the HDD in my MacBook Pro before I replace it.

The problem I've run into is that there are some files on my HDD which are unreadable due to bad sectors on my current (bad) disk.

So, is there some way I can tell Super Duper just to ignore errors, skip those files and back up the rest?

Thanks for your help!

Michael
Old 08-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Sorry, no: we always stop on errors.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:47 AM

Thumbs up

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your prompt response!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Sorry, no: we always stop on errors.
Well, I'm currently working through the issue manually, it's hour 32... but I'll get it!

I know it doesn't do it now, but would you consider a possible modification in the future that would back up only the files that didn't error out and skip the rest with a log file at the end? It could be an advanced 'Be *Very* Careful About Using This!' option, but if it's not *too* hard to implement, it might save someone in my position a good weekend's worth of scutwork.

Oh, and I'm otherwise very impressed with the software. I'll be buying it without regard to your answer, as I hope to mostly be using it for drive backups and not for salvaging a HDD like this too often!

Thanks again,

Michael
Old 08-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

It's something we've considered, though it's awfully dangerous, and even with warnings it can cause a lot of trouble...
Old 04-25-2015, 08:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Amarand Send a message via AIM to Amarand Send a message via MSN to Amarand Send a message via Yahoo to Amarand
Super Old Thread But...

Hey again,

I know I've asked about this before, but over the years, I've had similar problems to those mentioned in this post. I'm working on a hard drive right now that has 1.3 million files and my gut feeling is that about 200 or 300 of those files are bad (giving I/O errors). As mentioned above, it takes a long time to run, have it fail on a file, and then run it again...and again.

A great, advanced feature - perhaps something that would need to be unlocked from the command-line - with a very clear warning - would be to log and -ignore- the errors. Simply don't copy files with I/O errors.

Yes, if it's a problem with the hard drive hardware, maybe this is a bad thing, but if you're trying to copy all the -good- files (in this case, I have probably 1.3 million good files to copy), the very small percent of bad files makes the process tedious at best.

In my situation, I have an external hard drive that is mostly (99.999%) good, but that 0.0001% is making my weekend very long indeed.

Any chance of a feature add? A special technician build? I'm sure a few of us would pay an additional fee for this. I know I've burned 40 hours thus far, starting and restarting, and deleting files on the source drive. It would be worth paying for the app again, for sure....

Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2015, 09:37 PM
Administrator

How old is your backup? 200-300 changed files, in the actual copied data, since the last backup that are bad?
Old 06-18-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
It's something we've considered, though it's awfully dangerous, and even with warnings it can cause a lot of trouble...
Add my vote for the feature.
I'm currently facing he same situation (though I have other types of backups) and I would LOVE for SuperDuper to be able to create a new backup of the failing drive, ignoring (but listing) the damaged files.

You could make it a special “Last chance cloning” profile if you want, with bit red flashy warnings, but having the possibility would be a great thing.

Corentin

(currently at fund 27 of Smart Update, trying to get just a little more out of that drive…)
Old 06-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Did you not have a recent backup of this drive?