Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2022, 04:18 PM

Permissions issue in Catalina

I have an iMac with OS newly upgraded to Catalina, 10.15.7. The internal drive started with three Journaled HFS+ partitions, MBOSX for the OS, MBUser for most user home directories, and one Extra (which is scratch, generally not backed up). Each of several user accounts has its Home directory on the MBUser drive except for one admin account which is fully contained in the MBOSX drive. After the upgrade, I saw an APFS container with two APFS volumes, MBOSX and MBOSX - Data, plus the two original JHFS+ partitions. Everything was working one, after the usual flurry of needing to grant various permissions (e.g., whole-disk access to SD!). I wanted to be fully APFS, so I booted the recovery drive and used Dick Utility to convert the MBUser partition to an APFS container, then got rid of the Extra partition, leaving a nice big APFS container for MBUser (APFS volume) and newly created Extra2 container (APFS volume). So far so good. But when I restarted and tried to log in as one of the regular users, it acted like it had never heard of them, i.e., Dock was in the wrong place, volumes didn't appear on the desktop, login process never completed. I did a power-button shutdown, restarted, logged in (no problem) as the admin user, and noticed that MBUser did NOT have the "ignore permissions" box checked on its Info display. I ticked that box, restarted, and all seems well. But is all really well? I do have full backups.
Briefly: Should the user volume be set to ignore permissions, or be a "shared folder"?

Tags
shared volume