Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 07-10-2005, 06:45 AM

Unhappy SuperDuper does not copy from my internal to my external harddisk...

I am having a problem when I want to copy from my internal harddisk to my external harddisk (want to make a backup - who doesn't.....).

I am running on my computer OS X 10.4.1., have a G4, 1,25ghz & 1,25 of RAM, and SuperDuper! 1.5.5 (I haven't registered YET...).

When initiating a copy session (pressing "Start Copying"), I get a message after 10/20 seconds that says "An error occurred while Verifying that permissions are enabled for "(my internal harddisk name)". After this message the initiated copy process stops. So: no backups for me at this time. This worries me.

I can't find a way to fix it. Tried about everything (deleted SuperDuper prefs, restored permissions, installed a fresh copy of SuperDuper! etc.)

So the result is: I can not make a backup anymore!

Alexander
Old 07-10-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The problem, Alexander, is covered in this FAQ entry:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318

Hope that helps!
Old 07-16-2005, 04:13 PM

This is my first post and a potential user of SD as soon as a firewire cable for an external hard drive arrives.
After scanning over this forum, I read one post that asked if everything was Ok with SD and 10.4.2.
The answer was yes and now I read that there is a bug with 10.4.1 and that Terminal needs another line added.
I don't do Terminal, it is too intimidating.
So, is 10.4.2 ready to go without a Terminal intervention or does it need a correction in Terminal for SD to work also?
Old 07-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Administrator

This correction fixes a bug in Tiger, Butch. Although we reported the problem to Apple some time ago, it hasn't yet been fixed, so that one line -- which can be copy/pasted -- needs to be run in Terminal.

It's really not hard to copy/paste it in (and enter your password), and you can't really make a mistake if you don't do anything else... it's as gentle an introduction to Terminal -- which can be VERY useful -- as any!
Old 07-16-2005, 04:30 PM

OK Dave, if you say so.

But, before I dig into that I'll have to dig into some manuals to make double sure that I don't make things worse.

I haven't upgraded from 10.3.9 yet, and won't until I have a back-up.
After all the components of the SimpleTech are here I can back-up, upgrade to Tiger, do the combo update to 10.4.2, check that everything works and live happily ever after.
Then add the Terminal line to be prepared for the Smart Update.
I think this sounds right.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Administrator

As long as you do the backup before you upgrade to Tiger, you should be OK. Note, though, that I'm not certainly the Simple Tech drive is bootable under OSX. Are you sure it is? (Manufacturers will often use "compatible" pretty loosely...)

Note, also, that it's likely the external drive will come formatted for Windows, so be sure to use Disk Utility to erase it, using "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format.

I'm not sure a manual is going to explain the command I gave, let alone with the file I specify does. Basically, all the command does is erase a single file from the drive. Since it's a "system" file, you need to "authenticate" as a privileged user before you can erase it -- that's what the "sudo" part does. (It's just like typing in your password when you install an update or application.)

The file you're removing is a very simple file that keeps track of what external volumes have ownership on/off. The one shipped with Tiger, though, is in a format that's incompatible with the application that manages it. By erasing it, that application can put a new one in its place, which resolves the problem.

Hope that helps rather than confusing you more!