Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Scheduled copies will do this automatically, macmeister...
Old 11-09-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Scheduled copies will do this automatically, macmeister...
I assumed this was the case, but came up with an interim solution, since the volume is unavailable with a highlighted red error every time SuperDuper 2.1.3 tries to start the backup.

Remote volumes work great! Local volumes do not in my case. Am I doing something wrong? Since SuperDuper doesn't appear to handle this yet, I've had to setup yet another CRON item to simply:

open file:///Scripts/sh_mountpart.command

And in that file, is:
disktool -l | egrep -i "Mountpoint = '', fsType = 'hfs', volName = '.*Backup_G5_160" | cut -d\' -f2 | xargs -n1 disktool -m

I just have this scheduled with Cronnix 10 minutes before the SuperDuper schedule...
Old 11-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Administrator

No, it should work just fine with local volumes, actually -- are these "old" scheduled copies?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:27 PM

Thanks dnanian. I was inspired by your recent message: restarted, deleted the old schedules, re-applied them and it appears to be working now.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Great. The changes for mounting were done in the "schedule driver", so you did have to recreate the scheduled copies. Glad it worked.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:23 AM

Adding 2 cents on auto mount/unmount

Dave,

I went to the FAQs looking for help on automatically mounting and unmounting and found this thread. I went ahead and added this post just for the sake of registering an additional user interested in this feature. I have a macbook with an apple cinema display and connect my two FW drives -- one dedicated for back-ups with SD via the FW ports on the display. When I unhook the Macbook for portable use -- even around the house -- I always have to unmount the FW drives. Since I use one of them soley for SD backup purposes ... its always an extra stop everytime I want to undock my MB to have to unmount the backup FW drive. Which is why I also very much would like SD to auto mount and unmount this drive. Anyhow, just wanted to register this need to help you gauge user interest.

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

It already does this, Matt, for scheduled backups. If when we start the drive is unmounted, we'll unmount it when we're done.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:39 PM

My error ... wasn't aware of that

Thanks Dave as always for your prompt response. I've always kept these drives mounted with the thought that they needed to me for the SD back-up to work. Which is why ... in retrospect ... SD isn't unmounting them. Anyhow, thanks for that clarification. Very helpful. I continue to use SD with great success. Thanks again!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:21 PM

one more vote

I would like to add my vote to those in favour of the automount / auto-unmount feature. To me, this would make SD quite perfect!

I use it to back up to a partitioned local FW drive as well as to a network drive. Both the sync destination partition and the actual drive - local or networked - holding that partition should be automatically mounted / unmounted before / after backups. Even regardless of whether they were mounted before or not!

I use a lot of internal and external drives, so another reason for that feature would be not to click upon a volume that's (unnecessarily) present in the leftmost Finder window column!

Thanks for developing SuperDuper, it's a great piece of SW!

In case anyone is interested, I wrote a few scripts that handle the situation for the time being. Just email or pm me.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:09 AM

Please add unmount/mount feature!

Please allow me to add my vote for automatic mounting and unmounting of local drives as well.

My wife's iMac is in her office and everything is cloned to an external FireWire drive. I've come in and found the name of the drive changed because of co workers not realizing that they highlighted the drive's name and then started typing. Yeah, I know, what are the odds? It has happened none the less. If the drive would have been unmounted then this couldn't have happened. Plus if the iMac crashes with the clone mounted then there is the chance of data loss. If SD! could mount and unmount then I wouldn't have to worry about this. Finally, I use Timbuktu Pro to work on her iMac from home so I need access to the external drive when I want to work with it. Turning it off isn't an option since I'm doing this remotely. SD! mounting/unmounting would really solve my problems. Please consider it!

Thank you!