Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-06-2005, 11:12 PM

Backup and archive strategy and method?

Bought superduper. Yeah me. Now what? Never had a backup strategy and realizing time is against me for something to go wrong. I am a photographer and after a shoot download from laptop on the road to external hard drive (fw800) and then burn dvds to be kept offsite.

What about a real strategy for documents/quicken/itunes etc. Is there a strategy to use here. I know there is a different bet. backup and archive.

do I need 'more' software or is SD enough?

I have a mac mdd-d867 g4. Willing to get more storage if necessary. Do not want to go .mac way.

Any thoughts.

Last edited by xoshooter; 10-06-2005 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi, xoshooter.

There are a lot of different ways to "archive" things, and my best advice is to use a hybridized method. I'd rotate two (or more, depending on your comfort level) full backups, one on and one offsite, every week or so.

You can continue to keep your DVDs, etc.

The two full backup drives, created with SuperDuper!, should be fine for your documents and the like: it depends on how far "back" you feel you need to go, you know? If you're protecting against a disaster, then the two rotates drives should be fine. If you're trying to roll back "to the beginning of time", bit-by-bit, full backups like this aren't the right way to go.

Does that make sense?
Old 10-07-2005, 03:14 PM

backup strategy

It does make sense sort of. Is there a way to do it automatcally and incrementally. What if i realized I screwed up on a file and have to go back a couple/few generations back. Is this what is known as archiving? I also have a laptop and it would be great to have files syncronized between the two compluters. Does super duper accomplish this or is some other software like chronosycn or synchronize pro use for this in addtion to SD?

Many thanks.

Never used a backup or synchronize utility so it is a little confusing.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
A given SuperDuper! copy is just a copy, so it doesn't have a "history" as such. The history would be by having more than one copy... you can go back as many "generations" as you'd like.

In terms of synchronizing files, there's a neat automatic synchronizer called FolderShare at http://www.foldershare.com. For basic use it's free, too -- check it out.