Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 06-01-2006, 07:04 PM

eaten disk space?

Hi,

I have SuperDuper set-up to run at 6am and backup to an external disk. Today I was disconnected from the external disk at 6am, but SuperDuper ran & started backing up to a disk image it must have made itself, backing up until the disk space was zero, at which point it threw up an error message. I quit SuperDuper & ejected the disk but my hard disk was still at zero K. I restarted & got 300MB back, which I'm pretty sure was just the virtual RAM space, as I had around 3-4GB free beforehand.

Where does SuperDuper create this disk image when the chosen backup location is unavailable, so I can delete it and get my space back? Also, if I'm right about SuperDuper creating its own disk image & running the disk dry backing up itself onto itself, this behaviour maybe isn't such a good idea.

Ross
Old 06-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I've never heard of it doing that when a disk wasn't connected, Ross: we put up a message that says the disk isn't connected. In fact, I'm not even sure how we could.

My guess is that your disk space is in /Volumes: eject any external drives, then use Finder's "Go To Folder" command to look in the /Volumes folder. If you have no disks attached, you shouldn't have a folder in there with the name of the external drive. If you do, you should delete it and empty your trash.

If you could, please send me the log from your scheduled run, using the "Send to shirt pocket" button. I'll take a look and see if I can tell what happened.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:12 PM

Aha! It was in the /Volumes like you said in a folder with the name of my external disk, "External Drive". 11GB of it! There was also another folder, "External Drive2", with only 5MB, which I deleted too. Thanks for the swift solution, needed the space back!

I'll go and find that log to send to you…

Cheers
Ross
Old 06-01-2006, 08:17 PM

hmm, not having any luck with the log – I updated the app earlier today & the log is of that. When I go to "scheduled copies" the log button it greyed out. Anywhere else I should look for it?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
No, unfortunately, it would have been in Scheduled Copies. Well, give it another try manually and see if it works. If you have anything else on your FireWire bus, especially anything bus powered like an iSight or iPod, let me suggest that you simplify it just to the one drive before you try the backup.