Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-28-2008, 10:57 PM

How to upgrade to larger disks in RAID 1 system?

I have posted here about upgrading my system, and for my photo storage I am going to be switching from using two 500GB disks that are in a RAID 1 configuration on my Mac Pro to using two 1TB disks in a RAID 1 configuration, and I am trying to figure out the easiest way to do this. I am also getting an external 1TB drive that I will be using as backup for the RAID 1 disks.

How do I move the data from the two internal 500GB disks to the two new 1TB disks instead? Should I backup the data that is on my current RAID 1 500GB disks to the 1TB external disk, then remove the two 500GB disks and install the two 1TB disks as a RAID 1 system, then send the data back to this new 1TB RAID 1 array from the external backup using SD?

Or should I turn off the Mac Pro, remove one of the 500GB internal disks and replace it with the 1TB disk, turn the Mac Pro back on and let the RAID 1 rebuild the data onto the 1TB disk? And then remove the remaining 500GB disk (breaking the RAID again) and replace it with the other new 1TB disk and have the RAID copy the data from the first 1TB disk so that both 1TB disks now have the same data?

Or is there something I need to do with the Mac Pro RAID software in disk utility to avoid screwing things up?

Thanks!

Peter
Old 08-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I don't think the rebuild will work to the different sized drive, but I'd try that first. If it doesn't work, the backup/restore should be fine.