Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-05-2009, 08:31 PM

Permissions Problems with 10.5.8

Dave,

I upgraded from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 today. I now have a boatload of permissions problems when I run Disk Utility. I'm thinking of just restoring my computer to my last backup using my trusty SuperDuper. But, before I do, I figure if anyone knows you would: How concerned do I need to be with these permission problems? They all seem to be minor problems with "should be ? ____" and is "____." That kind of stuff. Do these permission problems just look more scary than they really are?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmlaw View Post
I'm thinking of just restoring my computer to my last backup using my trusty SuperDuper.
I'm curious, why? Is there some specific problem(s) you're having with 10.5.8?

Quote:
Do these permission problems just look more scary than they really are?
Yes, in most cases. I'd be more concerned about mistakenly changing permissions that Repair Disk Permissions wouldn't notice/fix, which shouldn't happen with normal system usage.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Agreed with sjk - don't worry about all the noise repairing permissions generates.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:22 AM

I agree that there is an awful lot of unnecessary anxiety over permissions errors. However the messages in the OP are a bit different from the usual, and are discussed in THIS THREAD .
Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 PM

Dave, I wrote you yesterday about all the permissions problems that are being reported by the Disk Utility after updating to 10.5.8. I just used SuperDuper and restored to 10.5.7 until there's further information on the problem that seems to be happening to many.

In the Apple form today, it is being reported that many of the new permissions problems caused by 10.5.8 can be eliminated by "booting from an external disk and then reapplying the 10.5.8 combo." I don't understand how to do that.

My external drive is the drive upon which I keep all my SuperDuper backups. I have it partitioned into three partitions, each one containing a different SuperDuper backup. Can you explain to me in simple language how I can boot up from my external drive and reapply the 10.5.8 combo? I just don't understand how to do that. If I add a file (such as the combo update file) to any of those SuperDuper backups, I can not longer boot from that backup any more.

Your guidance would be sincerely appreciated.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Administrator

I guess I don't understand the problem. Does the system run fine without repairing permissions? What is the issue with generating diagnostics? That happens pretty much constantly under every version of OS X.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:03 AM

I may just be a worry wort, but the shear number of permissions problems that were generated on my MacBook Pro by installing 10.5.8 upgrade is very unsettling to me. Before the upgrade I had a couple of permissions problems from a recent Airport update. I just learned to live with them as there didn't seem to be any negative affect on my MacBook Pro's operation. However, the 10.5.8 upgrade has generated dozens and dozens of permissions problems which I have confirmed others have experienced by installing the OS upgrade. In following those discussions on the Apple Forum I noticed a significant number of individuals who said they were able to rid their computer of the new permissions problems created by the upgrade by "booting their computer from an external drive and then reapplying the 10.5.8 combo upgrade." I don't understand how to boot from an external drive and then reapply the upgrade from that same drive. I'm really only familiar with booting off an external drive upon which my SuperDuper backups are located. So, I thought you might understand the process or how to boot off an external drive and then reapplying the update from the same drive. I just can't figure out how that's done, and I was hoping you could explain that process to me so I could try it and hopefully get rid of these dozens and dozens of permissions problems that are reported when I run Disk Utility.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Administrator

But, why does the sheer amount of "noise" repair permissions is generating unsettling? It's just noise. If it ran and then, at the end, said "OK!" and didn't produce that output, would you be satisfied with your system performance as it was with 10.5.8 installed?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:07 PM

Hmm, my post here from last night has mysteriously disappeared.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator

That's weird: I certainly haven't deleted anything...
Old 08-07-2009, 02:26 PM

I certainly didn't think you'd deleted it, Dave. Even if you had I'm pretty sure you'd have given me a good reason for doing it.

Here's a less polished re-post:

I think it's Apple's fault for allowing Verify/Repair Disk Permissions to continue displaying ignorable warnings that can mislead users to falsely assume problems exist. They partly acknowledged it with this KB article:

Mac OS X 10.5: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore

… but it's not necessarily accurate for different 10.5.x releases.

Sad that RDP still has a reason to exist, and probably will limp on in Snow Leopard (pure speculation; I don't have know anything about SL beyond what's been publicly announced or rumored).
Old 08-07-2009, 02:34 PM

Dave, maybe you want to merge this thread with the more recent/active one? Or just lock this one? It's confusing having both with essentially the same discussion and titles. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:22 PM

Some suggestions here:

Permissions Problems with 10.5.8. - MacFixIt

I'm not sure if/when MacFixIt still makes certain articles only available to paying Pro subscribers. It stunk when they did, implying that you might have to pay just to check for feedback to your own freely-contributive comments! Thankfully, it looks like they've relaxed their policy accessing to archived articles/comments.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Done... the threads are now merged. Hopefully.