Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2007, 09:42 AM

Unhappy Disable Spotlight on target volume?

Hello:

I would like to disable Spotlight from indexing my target volume.
I did read the post in the FAQ forum here that says to drag the volume to the Privacy list in Spotlight preferences, however, that doesn't work for me! When I drag it to the list, it doesn't show up in the list. I have Tiger 10.4.8. This is a USB2.0 external drive on an Intel MacBook Pro mounted as HFS+

Should I try the 'disable' script given in that thread?

I have also been reading about this issue here:
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/stopspotlightindex.html

I have tried rebooting in Safe mode, performing a SuperDuper backup, and then attempting to disable indexing of the target via the command line, specifically: sudo defaults write /path_to_volume/.Spotlight-V100/_IndexPolicy Policy -int 3 and that didn't work either, I got an error about unrecognized parameter or something.

Any further thoughts on this? Thank you!