Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 PM

SuperDuper causing Time Machine to fail

Alright, I started a thread a few days ago (http://www.shirtpocket.com/forums/sh...ighlight=error) regarding SD not loading volume information and therefore failing to do automatic backups (or manual for that matter). I decided in the end to reinstall OS X Leopard using the archive and install option. That was successful in getting SD back up and running and doing automated backups (even with all my data moved back). So, Dave, thank you, I think you were right to suspect my OS installation for that problem.

Now I have a completely new problem. And again, I have a brand new copy of Leopard with all the updates (10.5.2). What's happening is that whenever SD is running a backup, Time Machine will fail with an error 18 code as seen here in console (whether user initiated or scheduled):
2/26/08 1:46:45 AM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[459] Backup requested by user
2/26/08 1:46:45 AM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[459] Starting standard backup
2/26/08 1:46:45 AM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[459] Error: Volume at path /Volumes/TimeMachine does not appear to be the correct backup volume for this computer.
2/26/08 1:46:45 AM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[459] Backup failed with error: 18
For reference, TM and SD are sharing the same volume named TimeMachine.

I can get TM to work again only by reselecting the drive by hitting "change disk" in TM system preferences. This works until SD runs again. I can test this 10 times (which I have) and it happens every time.

Here's what I've tried so far:
  • changing volume from USB to FW
  • disconnecting all other peripherals
  • Repairing disk in disk utility
  • Repairing Permissions in disk utility
  • resetting my NVRAM/PRAM
  • reinstalling SD
  • reformatting TimeMachine volume and having TM put a fresh backup in place and then running SD and cloning drive again
  • booting into safe mode (holding shift key down at restart)
  • booting without startup items
  • repartitioning drive as GUID (was APM - I’m on a Macbook Pro), formatting as HFS+ with Journaling and running another TM backup and SD clone
  • wiping another external drive naming volume something completely different (“TM” instead of “TimeMachine”), setting TM to backup to it and letting SD run a clone operation
  • creating new administrative user account, installing SD fresh and running TM then SD

...And still my problem persists. So, to recap: no problems with SD except that it seems to cause TM to fail every time. Even if TM doesn’t run while SD is cloning (smart updating, whatever) TM will throw an error and won’t run thereafter without user assistance.

I’m assuming running TM after an SD clone (when they share the same volume) was tested before release of this product and since 10.5.2 was released and that my problems are limited to my computer. I will be installing a fresh copy of Leopard with no apps (other than default Leopard apps) onto a bootable FW volume tonight and in the morning booting to it, installing SD and running a test. I will report my findings here. In the meantime, any suggestions or “me too” comments are appreciated.

Thanks much!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I'm not seeing this here, but you're the second person to report it; I'm trying to run down what might be going on.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Could you provide me with a listing of the "root" directory of this drive, when Time Machine is OK with it, using:

ls -la

in Terminal (that's LS -LA in lower case). Then, run SD! and do the same thing again once TM starts complaining.

Send the results of both to me at the support email address.