Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2005, 05:46 AM

SD hangs / freezes while doing "backup - all files"

Hi Folks,
This particular problem has been lingering for 2 days now. I have browsed and read the posts here on the forum but could not get the solution to solve the issue.
I have a new Western Digital 250GB ATA hdd housed in an external USB 2.0 case, which has an HFS+ parition w/ journaling scheme created by Disk Utility. My box is a G5 2.7GHz, running Mac OS v.10.4.1.
I set SD to do "Backup - all files". Since this is not a registered version, i cant elect "Smart Update" but that's another issue entirely. In any case, I let Disk Utility to check, verify, and repair the source volume prior to the backup. I also ensured that all my personal startup items were disabled during login. The destination volume and source volume was named "iStorage" and "Macintosh HD" respectively. Since the external drive(DV) runs USB protocol, i did not have to care about having the destination volume's name the same as the source volume since i cant boot from USB drive anyway.
In the middle of backup, SD would hang and the activity LED on the external case would cease lighting up, an indication that the destination volume/hdd was idle. Checking on the Activity Monitor's Disk Activity & Disk Usage modules confirmed this particular state. The "freeze" incidents have occured 4 times and each backup attempt(after doing a reboot of course) lasted for hours with the progress bars stayed on a particular % value indefinitely. The system would hang(pointer > beachballing), "Force Quit Applications" module would not start, keyboard combinations/command to bring the system down would not function and a hard reboot is the only way.
I checked the SD's log and did not see any particularly alarming activity, but i might be mistaken since i am a new mac user. I have enclosed SD's log file as well as my System Profiler report.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or helps.

Best Regards,
yoha
Attached Files
File Type: txt SuperDuper!.txt (5.8 KB, 1960 views)
File Type: zip SysProf.zip (59.4 KB, 45989 views)