Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 AM

"My Book - Home Edition" - Oxford? Recommendations?

Great to see such an active board and responsive moderators. I wish I had come here sooner (as you'll see in a moment.)

Excited to upgrade to Leopard I went out and bought a HD from Best Buy, a 500GB Western Digital My Book - Home Edition, as soon as I got the disk. It wasn't until last night I actually downloaded SuperDuper (my plan all along) to start the process of baking up my computer and found that this HD is not on the supported list.

After trolling through posts for a couple of hours I see that many seemed to have use the WD My Book Pro's, and Premiums with success, but the home edition is only mentioned when someone was having problems (not necessarily related.) It also seems that the key point is having an authentic Oxford chip.

I have a support request in to WD to try to find out if the Home uses Oxford, but I was wondering - does anyone know? Should I return this since I just bought it yesterday and get the Maxtor (the only recommended HD they carry at BB)? Should I return and get a LaCie somewhere else even though it's a lot more expensive? (This is a back-up after all and worth the money if it is that much better.)

Sorry I'm so new to all of this, but Thanks in advance.