Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 PM

Unhappy My

After several failed attempts I tried again today to install Snow Leopard to an FireWired external hard drive from my wife's MacIntel.

I get the green check mark at the end of installation then the obligatory restart.

On the restart the apple logo shows up and it sits with the paddle going and going then a circle with a slash thru it pops up on the screen. Oh oh!! The paddle keeps spinning for at least 15 minuets.

I then force a shut down ( pull the power plug ) and wait at least five minutes , replug the power plug and restart holding down the option key and selecting the internal MacIntel hard drive and get my self back to the internal hard drive of the MacIntel ( Tiger: 10.4x ).

The icon of the FW external hard drive pops up on the desk top. I open the FW external hard drive icon/folder and see that the only folders missing are the ownership folder ( the little house )in the Users folder.

Of course the ownership folder is missing because on the restart from the installation process i was not allowed to set up an ownership.

Is there someway I can use Super Duper to just transfer the ownership folder from the internal hard drive ( Tiger )to the external hard drive ( Snow leopard ) ?

Suggestions/help/advice please.

What should I do with the DVD Installer?

Last edited by Walter; 10-27-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: topic title is meaningless but I can't change it
Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Not really, Walter: you need to transfer more than just the Home folder -- you'd have to transfer the account information as well.

This was a clean install of Snow Leopard to the external?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Not really, Walter: you need to transfer more than just the Home folder -- you'd have to transfer the account information as well.

This was a clean install of Snow Leopard to the external?
Yes, a clean install. I am a believer in not blending or building. I have external hard drives with Jag, Panther, Tiger, Leopard. Don't try to make sense of that reason because I can't even make sense except I've never had troubles doing it that way.

At the moment I am super duping Leopard and Snow Leopard.

However,

I completely forgot: Snow Leopard hard drive has to be Guid which I did.

Since I am now super duping L & SL using my trusty QS G4 will the Snow Leopard's hard drive still be Guid ? or does it get destroyed when the first step in the duping is to erase the disk?

Please don't tell me that the SL hard drive is no longer GUID.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
We don't change your partition scheme, so if it was GUID we didn't touch it - we copy volume (partition) to volume, not "drive to drive".

If you're clean installing Snow Leopard, you'd want to point at your previous backup when prompted to 'copy from another Mac', and have it bring in your applications and data.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:16 AM

Unhappy

The conclusion to this sad story:

defective hard drive or power supply in the FireWire enclosure.

Have purchased a new FW/USB external hard drive.