Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 PM

Superduper as an ordinary file backup

I have always used superduper to make a complete bootable clone, however I wonder if the use I am now making of it is a good idea or not.

My 2TB internal HD was beginning to fill up with files like movies music and large series, much of which I preferred to have archived.

So I moved much of that stuff to a separate drive and deleted it from the internal HD. I then used SD to make a clone of the new slimmed down HD, so far so good.

My question is about using SD to clone my new drive of audio and video files (no OS) to another drive so that they are backed up separately. Is this a good use of superduper or would I be better off simply dragging the files from one drive to the other.

The reason I ask is that without thinking the first thing I did was drag all the folders containing the files to the other drive then I had second thoughts about that and instead stopped that reformatted the drive and started again using SD to copy the files. However it seemed that using SD was a fair bit slower.

Does this seem right? Does SD arrange the files in a harder to copy way in order for smart update to work? Which btw is the reason I thought I'd use SD so I could simply drop new files to the Audio/Video backup volume and then smart update its clone it at a later time.

So just to be clear, I now have an internal drive bootably cloned to an external drive. And two more external drives, one for files and one that is a clone of the files.

thanks

Last edited by fred; 12-05-2012 at 04:31 PM.