Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-06-2006, 06:02 AM

synching over wireless

I have an alluminium powerbook and lampshade iMac, both running 10.3.9

they are connected via a wireless router

I want to sync the iTunes library of the laptop and the desktop, but it appears I must create a disc image when trying to copy a folder/s from one computer to another via wireless as opposed to a direct firewire device.

is there a way of accomplishing what I want with SDuper?

thanks
AB
Old 10-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi, astrobruce. This isn't something we're designed to do, no.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:17 PM

astrobruce,

If you want to do a two-way sync between your iMac and Powerbook, then, as Dave said, SuperDuper can't do it. But, if what you had in mind is a one way synce from your iMac to your Powerbook (or the other way around), then it definitely can be done from SuperDuper using disk images. I use the technique to sync my MacBook with my iMac's iPhoto library over a wireless network. (The iMac is the master.) Updates take 5 to 15 minutes depending on how much has changed on the iMac since the previous sync.

Here's the procedure. But first, I strongly suggest you do a complete backup of your Powerbook's iTunes folder just in case anything goes wrong.

Create a SuperDuper script to copy the iMac iTunes folder to the Powerbook. (Exclude all, then add iTunes folder). Use Smart Backup and choose to use a sparse disk image - let's call it iTunes - and store it in the iTunes folder of your Powerbook. (You could put it elsewhere, but that seems like the most reasonable place.) Save the script, so you can access it again, if needed. Also save the settings as iTunes sync or any other name you like.

After you run the sync the first time, you will have a new file iTunes.sparseimage in your Powerbook's iTunes folder. Double click the file to mount the image. From iTunes preferences - Advanced, General, choose the iTunes Music folder contained within the iTunes image. With iTunes 7, you can now select from multiple iTunes libraries. See Apple Article 304447. Following the directions, point to the existing library contained within the iTunes image.

Finally, open System Preferences - Accounts and add the iTunes.sparseimage file to the list of items to be opened when you log in.

You should now be all set. SuperDuper will smart update the iTunes.sparseimage file; at log-in the image will automatically mount and when iTunes opens it will find an exact copy of your iMac's iTunes Library and Music stored on your Powerbook. Once you are sure everything is working properly, you can delete the original iTunes libraries and iTunes Music folder.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:53 PM

Sync O Tunes

I have had good luck with this app. It compares the two library files and transferes the songs missing on one to the other. I have not used it in a while but you can give it a go. Backup before using anything that is going to manipulate your data. You should be backing up anyways.

http://homepage.mac.com/oligrob/sync...yncOtunes.html