Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 11:25 AM

Leopard restore and Parallels?

Just used 2.5 (thanks, Dave and crew) to copy a 160mb hard drive to a new 320mb drive on my MacBook Pro.

All seems to be working fine except that Parallels won't start--just get the "spinning wheel". I'll try to re-copy the Parallels folder later today, but I'm wondering if anyone knows a reason why it might not work?

Thanks for a great product and superior support.

Mike
Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Is the new drive named the same as the original?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:34 AM

Yes, same name "Macintosh HD"

I noticed when I did the copy that SD said I was copying from "Macintosh HD" (my external USB boot drive) to the internal "Macintosh HD-1" (not sure about the hyphen, but it showed a 1 at the end). But after the copy, internal (target) drive was properly named "Macintosh HD".

Mike
Old 02-07-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaiserco View Post
All seems to be working fine except that Parallels won't start--just get the "spinning wheel". I'll try to re-copy the Parallels folder later today, but I'm wondering if anyone knows a reason why it might not work?
Was the Parallels VM suspended or shut down when you ran SD?

You could try starting Parallels app (not the VM) and reset the paths in the config editor.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:30 PM

Update on my Parallels problem

I saw that there was a Parallels update available, so I downloaded and installed it.

Now, when I try to start my Vista VM, I get the following message:

"Parallels Desktop failed to allocate the specified amount of memory.
Please restart Parallels Desktop and try again.
To avoid this problem in the future choose from the menu: Parallels Desktop > Preferences. On the Memory tab select the "Enable virtual memory preallocation" option."

I checked the option (it was unchecked), but still get the error. I suppose I should take this over to the Parallels folks?

Just to be "safe", I also just re-copied the Parallels folder (in \user\Library\Parallels) but no change.

To answer mikebore's question, I believe (but I'm not sure) that the VM was suspended when I did my SD copy. I'm going to double check--and see if I can open Parallels if I boot off my original hard drive.

Mike
Old 02-07-2008, 06:38 PM

End of story?

OK, I guess this is a Parallels issue after all--except that it's apparently, in this case, brought on by having copied with SD.

If I boot off the "old" disk, I can open the Vista VM in Parallels just fine, but if I copy the Parallels stuff to the "new" disk, I get the memory allocation error when I try to run the Vista VM.

After seeing a few threads on the Parallels support site, it's clear I'm not the only one having these memory allocation errors. The "fix" is to not allocate more than 1 megabyte of memory for the VM (I had been using 1.2 MB).

So thanks for your help, but there's still some mystery in the Parallels camp about this whole thing.

Mike
Old 02-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Seems weird. Happens if the backup drive is named the same as the original, too?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:46 PM

Yep, same name. Weird it is--but not your weirdness, Dave. If you have some free time and crave some amusement, have a look at the Parallels support forum. There are more than a few having this problem. The only pattern I've seen is that the problem only surfaces when allocating memory over 1 MB.

My advice to you . . . stay out of it.