Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 07-04-2006, 11:49 AM

Logged In Requirement

From what I've seen here on the forum, you have to be logged in to a user with Super Duper set up to run scheduled jobs.

The setup I planned to use would be to have my machine power on in the middle of the night, run the scheduled copy and shut down.

But it is a security risk to have the computer permanently set to login to a user from boot without authentication.

Is there no way to run SD while the computer sits on the login screen? Or is there a secure way to do this I'm not thinking of?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Another option would be to use a password-protected screen saver. Then, you'd simply put your machine to sleep, rather than turning it off. It'd wake, run the SD! job, all without unlocking the screen...
Old 07-25-2006, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
Another option would be to use a password-protected screen saver. Then, you'd simply put your machine to sleep, rather than turning it off. It'd wake, run the SD! job, all without unlocking the screen...
I, too, would like to see SD have the ability to run without the requirement of being logged in. Since you run SD's schedules via cron wouldn't it be possible to assign the SD scheduled event to the system cron and, since root is basically always logged in, run in the background? I guess you could design SD to run this way if you were willing to forfeit some of its modality. Maybe for a future release?

MOTE
________
buy herbalaire

Last edited by MacOfTheEast; 01-19-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestion; we'll see.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:20 PM

Another option to consider might be Tiger's 'launchd', if you're willing to sacrifice 10.3.9 compatibility. According to the doc, it could run your scheduled jobs without a user logged in.

(Note: I know only a hair above nothing about this stuff, I've only heard about it.)
Old 07-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Administrator

It's more complicated than that, actually. The issue isn't so much what we're launching with (though if we were Tiger-and-later only we would use launchd). Rather, we have a UI, and you can't have a UI if you want to run as a daemon.

As I wrote way back when we were doing the design for this stuff, splitting things into a daemon/agent/UI was beyond the scope of the 2.0 release...