Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Post Best Practices for Backing Up

I've written a long post about the best way to back up at the Shirt Pocket blog:

https://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/in...rfect_backups/

Enjoy!
Old 08-10-2021, 06:24 PM

Post SD backups over local WiFi network = Time Machine?

Apple’s AirPort Utility/TimeCapsule duo (= Time Machine (TM) over WiFi locally) is becoming obsolete (my TC’s getting old and will surely fail sooner or later), so I’m trying to create a robust and reliable TM-like replacement (not using Apple soft- and hardware) to back up our two Macs (Big Sur, soon M1 Macs). I already make regular SD clones to an external wired SSD, so our TM backups need only to sequentially back up data, but don’t have to be bootable. Your blog entries about backup strategies and SD’s capabilities are now a few years old, so maybe things (hard- and software) have changed/improved since then, so here’s my question now:

Can SD work over my local WiFi network (probably to an NAS device or similar), robustly and reliably? Using Smart Updates, how far back in the past/how many snapshots can I store? (We’re doctors, and GDPR dictates that our confidential data may not leave our premises, so cloud services are out.)
Old 08-10-2021, 06:31 PM
Administrator

In general, I don't feel that WiFi backups without active participation (eg a server managing the connection, like iSCSI) on the other end are reliable. You can do it, but as you likely saw with Time Capsule, they corrupt sometimes and start over.

Ours would be no different. I don't recommend doing this. And you shouldn't rely upon snapshots for long term rollback, since the OS removes them over time.

Perhaps what you should consider is something like a Synology NAS and its "Drive" client, which will back up and replicate folder structures and maintain some history as well?
Old 08-12-2021, 12:04 PM

NAS/Drive over WiFi: reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Perhaps what you should consider is something like a Synology NAS and its "Drive" client, which will back up and replicate folder structures and maintain some history as well?
I'd be more than willing to use this, but I'm not tech savvy enough to be sure I understand (and I don't want to spend money on something that won't work). Doesn't this connect over my local WiFi - which, as you said above, isn't any more reliable that the Time Capsule was?
Old 08-12-2021, 12:13 PM
Administrator

It has a server component on the other side that manages the connection. So the actual "transfer" is intermediated in a way that avoids corruption.

(Does that mean nothing can go wrong? No. But it's a far more reasonable/reliable way to go, and it can actually work "on the road" on secure connections, too, should you want it to.)

Just a suggestion, of course. Another way to go would be to run something like Retrospect on a local server.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:14 AM

Thanks, Dave, I'll look more closely into all that. BTW, both Retrospect and Arq look like they might be useful.

Last edited by gbdoc; 08-14-2021 at 08:46 AM.