Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2005, 06:11 PM

Moving from G4 to G5 and upgrading to Tiger

Until now my main working machine has been a PowerMac G4 with MacOS X 10.3.x. I have now got the chance to upgrade to a PowerMac G5 (2*1.8 GHz, not the just released model). I would like to take this opportunity to "kill two birds with one stone", transfering all my stuff from the G4 to the G5 and installing Tiger on the G5. I presume SuperDuper! can help me making this a smooth transition. But how?

Should I upgrade to Tiger on the G4, then make a full backup of it to an external FW drive using SuperDuper and then "restore" that backup onto the G5? I fear this migh not be a good idea since I believe the Tiger installation for the G5 is different in some respects from the one I would have on the G4 (right?)

So, is there another way which I guess will have to start with Tiger installed on the G5 and then transferring the non-Tiger stuff from the G4 to the G5. How would I best do this? What's the risk of it being incomplete and requiring a lot of "tweaking"?

Thanks for advice on this operation which I guess is not all that uncommon.