Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2005, 09:42 AM

Talking Smart Updates & Small Changes

This is probably a User Philosophical Question.

Booting up in a Secure Clone (Sandbox) Partition offers many proven advantages to isolating & protecting your Macintosh HD OSX baseline, what is the recommended philosophy for minor system level changes like preferences? The general philosophy in the SuperDuper! docs indicate, if you like a change you made on the Secure Clone OSX partition, you need to start up with the Macintosh HD baseline and then implement the permanent change there, followed by Smart Updates to both the (applications & users) Secure Clone and the (all files) Backup HD partitions, so all 3 versions represet the same baseline via SuperDuper! routines/scripts.

Q1. Since SuperDuper! looks at every file when processing a Smart Update, while quite fast it does take some time, could not making small preference changes be quicker if done manually to each of the 3 example partitions, especially if the changes were made with an application like OnyX where change buttons call one or more of their internal Scripts or say with an identical User generated Script for each partition. The saved User time would be about 3X on my system, but it then begs the question about whether or not it would impact Clone integrity for the 3 partition examples, when you want to use SuperDuper! in the traditional manner again?

Not trying to beat the system philosophy of SuperDuper! which is well thought out, I'm just trying to save time, if possible. This question came up while upgrading my system with SuperDuper! where it was utilized as an intergal tool for mapping the multiple HD's and their required Partition sizes, where after finishing with everything I found I had forgotten some minor preference changes and then experienced the time it took to implement them via the recommended Smart Update routines. While waiting for SuperDuper! to finish my idle brain was thinking I could have done this manually much quicker, which prompted me to post this thread.

lol! If I was answering my own question, I would probably respond with "Proceed at your Own Risk" and realize if you are not sure about what you are doing, you get to do it all over again the SuperDuper! way.

cspheres