Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 PM

Backup Failure

I created a new script to back up my internal HD to a second external HD, with the exception of one rather large folder. I followed the instructions in the User's Guide (beginning on p. 20).

I now have two separate backup scripts in my Scheduled Copies: The "normal" one that backs up up my entire internal drive to an external drive, and a "new" one that backs up almost my entire internal drive to another external drive.

My "normal" backup is scheduled to occur at about 1 AM; I scheduled the "new" one to occur at about 11 PM. Because I anticipated that the first run of the "new" backup would run into the "normal" backup, I decided to manually request the "normal" backup to run first. So a short while ago I initiated the manual backup, and it immediately failed with the following error message:

| 10:10:51 PM | Error | The bundled copy scripts have been altered. Please re-install SuperDuper!

Why did this happen; why do I have to reinstall SD!, recreate the scripts/schedules. etc.; and how do I prevent this from happening again?

Last edited by Nick; 01-17-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You likely either changed a built-in copy script, or you saved your copy script in "Standard Scripts" rather than in "Copy Scripts" above it. Move your custom script up to 'Copy Scripts'...
Old 01-18-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
You likely either changed a built-in copy script, or you saved your copy script in "Standard Scripts" rather than in "Copy Scripts" above it. Move your custom script up to 'Copy Scripts'...
Well, I guess it goes back to the confusion I had (and still have) about these folders in my "Log Jam" thread....

The "Copy Scripts" folder is in SD!'s Resources folder. The script I created is, in fact, in the Copy Scripts folder. Now, the only "Standard Scripts" reference I see is not a folder, but an alias which only appears in the Copy Scripts window that opens when I go to File > Open Copy Script... in the menubar. Double clicking on that alias causes it to be replaced by (i.e., the window to be re-populated with) all of the "standard" scripts, along with the one that I created.

So, it seems that all scripts are piled together in the Copy Scripts folder in the Resources folder. But the actual folder contains only those scripts—it does not contain the alias to the Standard Scripts folder (which shows up only in the Copy Scripts window as I described above). So, if I need to move the script I created out of the Copy Scripts folder into the Standard Scripts folder, I first need to locate the actual Standard Scripts folder...and I simply don't see it and can't find it.

Last edited by Nick; 01-18-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Administrator

No, the Standard Scripts folder is a link to folder inside SD!'s bundle. Copy Scripts is in ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!, and is an actual folder (with the Standard Scripts link inside it).
Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
No, the Standard Scripts folder is a link to folder inside SD!'s bundle. Copy Scripts is in ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!, and is an actual folder (with the Standard Scripts link inside it).

Back to Abbott and Costello, eh?

So, I have two Copy Scripts folders: One in SD!'s Resources folder, the other in the Application Support folder in my Library.

OK...so, am I to drag the script I created, which currently is in /Applications/SuperDuper!.app/Contents/Resources/Copy Scripts, into ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts, so that it ends up sitting alongside the Standard Scripts alias (or, perhaps more accurately, "link")?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Administrator

You will find that "Standard Scripts" is a link to that Copy Scripts folder in Resources. So, you need not go into the application bundle yourself to find it - just move the file from "Standard Scripts" to its parent, ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts.